AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get a comparison of these 2 TV technologies -- Sony KV40XBR800 vs. Panasonic 50LCT13. Not neccessarily these 2 models in particular however -- that's just a bonus.

These are both approximately the same price, with the Panasonic being 16:9 and the Sony being 4:3.

I guess what I'm asking is what are the advantages/disadvantages of LCD vs. CRT. I'm not a huge videophile and have a huge problem following many of these technical-jargon filled posts :)

I know weight is a huge factor -- 300 lbs for 40" CRT vs. 90 lbs for Panny LCD. Also, Panny LCD wins in terms of size -- 15" depth vs. 25" depth!

What other adv/disav are there?

My viewing characteristics:
  • Progressive Scan DVD player (Panasonic S35)
  • Standard Cable for now, eventually want sattelite (DirectTV) or diigtal cable
  • Viewing distance of approx 10 ft.
  • TV will face windows, but windows face north. Majority of TV viewing (70%) done at night.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The Panasonic set seems to be attracting much attention, It looks like a great unit, I guess the question is why spend the same amount of money when you can get something tha tmight look better and is bigger. The technologies are very different the Sony is CRT tube, which still takes the cake as far as all around picture quality. It offers the best blacks and is a proven way to go. The other being LCD rear based is not proven but seems to be holding it's own, your going to get a lighter TV although that

shouldn't matter unless you plan on moving it alot, it is also Wide Screen

16.9 which in itself is a different format that you can buy in CRT, not as big

though. The size is the main reason people buy different then CRT they don't make anything bigger and as far as I know can't, to many constraints

The main drawback of these other Technologies is viewing angles, room light, and certain problems that come with any technology you buy. There have been reports of things like rainbow affect (don't really know what that is) With a CRT TV you know pretty much what your getting if you get the Sony 40" when you watch DVD's or HD you will have black bars on the top and bottom. This could be a drawback for you if you don't like these bars. I would post the same question in the RPTV Forum and see what kind of feed back you get.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, I have the Panny 50 inch LCD and was considering tube based TV's but the weight was just too much for me (I'm expecting to move pretty soon). After having the Panny for almost a month now, I regret to say that it just doesn't cut it in terms of picture quality. Compared to my 10 year old Sony Trinitron, the Panny has worse picture picture quality in SD viewing, DVD's, and standard X-Box games. The only areas where I was impressed was in HD content (HD broadcasts and HD X-box games).

I've tried just about everything to get the picture to look better (Avia calibration, different cables, different DVD players, etc) but nothing seems to compare to the quality of my old Sony CRT. Thinking that it was just a defective unit, I've looked at DVD movies on other LCD's and saw the same problems (ghosting and compression artifacts), which were all viewed at approx 10 feet. When I viewed the TV at 12 feet, the problems seen with DVD's were pretty much alleviated, but I don't have enough room at home to set the TV this far back.

Please keep in mind that the issues in PQ are not necessarily limited to LCD's. When you move from a 27 inch screen to 50 inches, you'll notice little things that frankly are not seen in a smaller picture. Other than a Panny and Fujitsu plasma, I haven't seen anything that compares to CRT based sets.

With that said, I would still encourage you to take a look at the Panny LCD IF you view it from different video sources. See how it looks in SD and DVDs before you make a purchase. Just looking at HD content will not give you an idea of what SD and other sources will look like. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I have to agree with the previous post. Just returned my 50" Panny LCD to BB for the same reasons. I'm getting a 46" Sammy DLP delivered today.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Direct view CRT based TV's are still the gold standard for picture quality. LCD or DLP rear projection TV's will simply not give you the same PQ. Of course the drawback of direct views is that maximum size is limited to the 40" Sony and that TV is a behemoth. If you want a larger size with similar PQ, plasma is an option but at very high cost.

If you only want a 40" size, don't mind the eventually obsolete 4:3 aspect ratio, and can handle the size/weight of the Sony, IMHO it offers the best bang for the buck as far as PQ. If you want a larger 16:9 TV, then you have a lot of research to do. Good luck.

Rich

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Take a look at the RPTV's. The 51" Sony WS510 isn't a bad set for now under $2K.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i can't comment on the panny but i bought the 40" xbr about 7 weeks ago and the picture is beautiful whether i am playing a dvd, directv, or HD sat. the picture is even better since i upgraded the cables. it is heavy but how many times do you really plan on moving it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.