AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I found this forum about a month ago after I convinced my wife we should get a HT. Trust me, that now seems to have been the easy part! I'm overwhelmed by the complexity of designing a complete HT and also by the knowlege displayed by the members of this community. I am new to it all and am asking for some help.

Starting from scratch, this project will be the beginning of a larger remodelling effort involving our basement and main living level. Honestly though, the HT is the only part of it that has my full attention! The HT will use part of the basement in a space measuring 11x22x8. Three walls and the celiling are finished. The wall not finished is one of the 22' lengths. Two of the finished walls abut the foundation of the house, the other 11' wall abuts a bathroom and a small closet. There is one vent midway down the 22' wall and another along on of the 11' walls. There is no return vent or windows.

Although I haven't decided on equipment spcifics yet, I will probably go with a DLP HD2 pj and a 90-100" screen of unknown make or type. I'd like two rows of seating. This room will be dedicated to viewing movies and some sports.

I don't have a set budget, but it's certainly not unlimited. So I'd like to know what are the most cost effective treatments I should employ to ensure good accoustics and video quality. Unlike many of you here, I absolutely suck at building things myself, so I will be hiring someone to do much of the work with me helping them.

I guess what I'm hoping to hear is what all good HT designs have in common, and some "whatever you do don't forget about x, y, and z" types of comments. Thanks in advance!

John

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ethan,

Thanks. Yeah, I know about the ratio problem. I think my only real option is to shorten the length of the room. There is a Steel support beam going the length of the ceiling at the 11' point, and a steel post as well. The beam drops down about 10". So that's the most logical place for a wall, unless someone has another idea.

I'll read your article "Audio Technical and Construction projects" tonight. I aprreciate the help!

John

·
Registered
596 Posts
If I were you, and I intended to subcontract out all the construction, I'd look into professional design. The cost of that relative to the cost of subcontracting will be minor. Do a search on this forum for Dennis Erskine. Many here will recommend his design service.

Have fun!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've decided to shorten the room to 18', and use the other 4' as equipment space. That is tighter than I'd hoped, but it is what it is.

I've also decided to try to do most of this myself. It seems to be a labor of love for most people here, so why not give it a whirl? It will take longer, but I'll also save a bucket full of money.

Ethan, I really appreciate the FAQ you sent. Gobs of good info! I'll be incorporating the ideas into the room.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Deckman37,

I can appreciate both the excitement and the being overwhelmed with the thought of designing and building a home theater. I finished mine this February. My best investment was to sign on with Dennis Erskine for a few hours of consulting. It was the best $450 spent on my theater. I strongly recommend you either hire Dennis to design your theater or at least consult with him.

You can see finished and construction photos of my theater HERE . The finished dimensions of my room (after TheaterShield & batting)are 12' 5" x 19' 5" x 8' 5".

Good luck!

Tom

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'll second Tom's endorsement. Any amount of dollars spent with Dennis prior to the beginning of the project are well worth it. I'm in the process of building right now and while it certainly and obviously can be done without true "plans", the thought of doing it without them, in my opinion, would add an immense amount of possibly unnecessary work to an already labor-intensive project.

Robert

www.fdfb.com

·
Registered
766 Posts
You'll spend more in re-work and frustration than you will spend having Dennis design your HT.

As for the Steel beam, you could incorporate it as part of your soffit, building the actual wall outside of the beam, which would give you more width.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Deckman37,

The estimate of the number of hours I spent constructing my theater is around 1000 hours. Since I didn't hang the drywall or lay the carpet, those hours are not included. I probably spent another 175 hours on design and redesign before I started the construction phase.

Tom

·
Registered
766 Posts
Deckman,

Choosing Dennis doesn't mean losing all the support you have here at the Forum. He will design your HT, and he may have some advice on how to do individual tasks, but you'll find you'll still need to to touch base with folks who have recently gone through the process. Keep in touch, let us know how the project goes. Feel free to ask all the questions you need to make sure you get it right. Sometimes it is faster to use the Forum search function, where you can find weeks worth of responses to a question you may have - Others have had the same questions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.