AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is directv limited to four receivers (1 per line into the house) getting a signal at the same time? Am I correct in assuming that even if I were to use a 5x8 multiswitch and send directv to 8 separate receivers, only four of those receivers could be tuned to directv at the same time?

Or say if I only had TWO lines coming from the dish to a 5x8 multiswitch and distributed the signal to 8 receviers, I could only watch directv on any TWO of the receivers at the same time? Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffmc
Is directv limited to four receivers (1 per line into the house) getting a signal at the same time? Am I correct in assuming that even if I were to use a 5x8 multiswitch and send directv to 8 separate receivers, only four of those receivers could be tuned to directv at the same time?

Or say if I only had TWO lines coming from the dish to a 5x8 multiswitch and distributed the signal to 8 receviers, I could only watch directv on any TWO of the receivers at the same time? Thanks.

Jeff
No that's not right. A 5x8 will allow you to watch 8 receivers at the same time all tuned to different channels. A typical installation has 4 lines comming off the dish into a 5x8 switch

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
No that's not right. A 5x8 will allow you to watch 8 receivers at the same time all tuned to different channels. A typical installation has 4 lines comming off the dish into a 5x8 switch
That's good to know. So, I could essentially just run one line from one of those phase III dishes (or 2 lines from a traditional 3 lnb 18x24 dish) into a 5x8 and still have 8 receivers tuned to a different channel at the same time?

In that case, is their any advantage to running more than one line, besides the additional bandwidth? Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
That's good to know. So, I could essentially just run one line from one of those phase III dishes (or 2 lines from a traditional 3 lnb 18x24 dish) into a 5x8 and still have 8 receivers tuned to a different channel at the same time?

In that case, is their any advantage to running more than one line, besides the additional bandwidth? Thanks.
I'm not sure about the new phase III dish with built-in multiswitch, but with the traditional 3 lnb 18x24 dish you need 4 lines to run from the dish to the 5x8 multiswitch. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Quote:

Jeff
Yes I think that will work as you described.

Even though the phase 3 has a built in switch, you still run the lines from the built in switch to the 5x8. You would get more support in the DSS forum though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The phase-III dishes already have a 4-way multiswitch built-in. If you want more outputs, then you have to get a cascadable multiswitch (terk and spaun make these as do other manufacturers). You'll need to run all 4 lines from the phase-III dish to the cascadable multiswitch.

Rusty Abernathy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all the responses. I will elaborate on how I plan to install everything. I've got a Terk Phase III dish with built-in multiswitch/4 outputs. However, I only pre-wired the house for two lines from the dish to an Eagle Aspen S-4180-GX+ 5x8 multiswitch (in attic) which AFAIK passes the 22khz tone and is cascadable. Now that the walls are up, it would be difficult to run more lines.

I then have 7 lines from the multiswitch to each room jack. I also have a OTA antenna going to the multiswitch, along with diplexers at each room jack. I think that this arrangement will allow for totally independent tuning for each receiver connected in each room. However, if I had put in 4 lines from the dish to the multiswitch, I would experience less signal loss with its insertion. Am I on the right track here?? Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm not sure as I have not tried that scenario myself. Everything I've read would make it appear that setup will not work. You'll have to try it and let us know.

Edited for spelling

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I dont think it has anything to do with signal loss. You will lose some channels as I said in the previous post. I do this now with my Spaun. I have one of the 4 lines from the Phase III and it goes directly to my HDTV receiver, the other 3 lines go to the mutliswitch. I only lose some channels that I would never watch. You will find all you need to know in This DBS forum , Just search and ask away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.