AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I am asking this correctly. I live in a fringe reception area for over-the-air television and fm radio. With the upcoming digital switch I bought a dtv box and my reception is so weak that I only get 2 channels using rabbit-ears indoors or outdoors and half the time those channels get weak enough that I frequently experience break-ups in their reception. I am of the suspicion that I am not going to have much luck even going with a roof-top antenna. But I am hoping some of the experts here would be kind enough to verify that or let me know what I would need for over-the-air reception. I am going to attempt to post both my tvfool and fm fool results in case there is any antenna that may help with both since my FM reception is also poor. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Which stations are you interested in receiving? You have them in a number of directions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mainly the major networks. I don't have any special channel I am looking for. Just the best general reception since I use this mainly when my cable goes out, and should add that I am using an analog tv with the dtv box, not a new hdtv. If I can just get the few strongest channels clearly that would be good, any extras would be gravy. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Based on your exact address tvfool, to get the 3 major networks, FM, and PBS you would need separate UHF and VHF antennas with a preamp and a rotator high and outside for your very weak signals. If you were willing to eliminate PBS and FM and just go with NBC, ABC, and CBS, you would only need a UHF and a VHF-high (7-13) antenna; a CH 3 antenna is very large.

I did the tvfool for zip 24089 and got much stronger signals. Are you down in a hole or behind a hill?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information. I am behind a hill, very poor location for any signals. I had pretty much given up on getting anything over-the-air once digital kicks in. I get a few fuzzy stations now, really only 2 that are watchable in analog. Looks like I will just be dependent on cable. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
779 Posts
signals can sometimes bend over obstructions, depends on the channel, distance, terrain, and more

a directional roof antenna angled up towards the hill may get a better signal than one mounted horizontally.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts