AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have DV Archive installed and pulling files off my 5040 but do I need to do anything to the files when burning them to my dvd burner to make them work in a normal dvd player? Are the files already in the correct format?

I searched the board but didnt see the answer to this one.:confused:

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Clay Schneider
[Also tired of seeing recommendations that don't work.]
So we'd better get someone to remove that person holding a gun to your head and forcing to read this forum's posts, no? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
805 Posts
You're right. It's foolish of me to keep hoping I'm going to see a solution that actually works, instead of all the ones that don't quite work being trotted out again and again.

I can only hope that my complaint, which has obviously been enough to raise your hackles for some unknown reason, will do something to reduce the re-telling of non-functional solutions, so as not to waste yet more newbies' time.

[And gun to my head or not, it's not quite within my powers of deduction to determine if I have seen and tried any given solution till I read the post. Of course, if you have a way of doing that, feel free to share it. You could save a whole lot of bandwidth for everyone.]

·
Registered
627 Posts
Clay, It works fine for me and I'm *sure* it works for others (since I didn't write that HOWTO).

I'm sorry it doesn't work for you, but if it works for 9/10 people, I think the problem is yours and not the author of that *wonderful* howto article. Maybe since it didn't work for you, you should try some other methods and post your results instead of dissing on proven working methods :)

Snook: Sorry I don't know any solutions for Mac's.

·
Registered
805 Posts
djdementia -- I'm happy for you. And I too have produced an occasional dvd that is OK. But I still contend that this method -- even if you use 'copy reverse-paste' -- won't always give you audio and video in sync over a long recording. I know for sure it does not work 100% of the time for me. And it just isn't worth the time and effort [and the potentially wasted write only dvd] to find out after several hours that the audio drifts.

Given that the windows media player can play a two or three hour saved file with no loss of sync, I'm sure there is SOME software route to reliably producing a clean dvd with minimal user intervention. With or without a gun to my head, I will continue to read these posts looking for such a solution.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Quote:
djdementia -- I'm happy for you. And I too have produced an occasional dvd that is OK. But I still contend that this method -- even if you use 'copy reverse-paste' -- won't always give you audio and video in sync over a long recording. I know for sure it does not work 100% of the time for me. And it just isn't worth the time and effort [and the potentially wasted write only dvd] to find out after several hours that the audio drifts.
As a rule -- and admittedly I don't make a ton of DVDs so time is not an issue for me -- I run everything longer than a half hour through Womble's GOP fixer first. I know that 90% of the time there are no errors anyway, but when I burn something, I delete it, so I need to know there are no errors on the first pass.

I haven't had any problems doing it that way -- yet.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
So we'd better get someone to remove that person holding a gun to your head and forcing to read this forum's posts, no? :rolleyes:
You added some extra spice in the curmudgeon sauce today, no? I only read a few threads and they all had you punting someone. I'm not one of those people who will tell you to relax, either -- I think more people should be testy ...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
You're right. It's foolish of me to keep hoping I'm going to see a solution that actually works, instead of all the ones that don't quite work being trotted out again and again.
There are several members here that have written pages and pages of help for those who have a problem either writing directly to DVD or with removing commercials and authoring their DVD's. You might do a search on our premier DVD archiving member RichA and review all of his comments. He has addressed the problems you seem to have several different ways with many members and one or more of those posts may help you. As djdementia mentioned, most often the problem is with the DVD author's system setup not the process. Win2K and XP seem to have fewer problems than Win9x/Me.

Just remember that there are may folks here that CAN help. However, simply complaining pugnaciously that nothing works is rather fatalistic and gives those that could help nothing to work with. If you can tell folks what you are working with - i.e. OS, RTV model (it makes a difference), editing and/or authoring software you have been using- and what your end goal is (just writing MPEGs to a DVD or authoring several episodes with menus or whatever else you want out the other end) etc. - you may just find someone to help you thru your problems.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hardly 'just complaining'. If you look back, I have asked for help several times in getting an accptable dvd, and usually I'm just blown off with 'read the faq' -- with little regard to the fact that I wouldn't even have experienced the problems unless I had read the faq in the first place.

I have given up asking, and am now just relating my experience. Sorry if it sounds like 'complaining'.

But for what it's worth, to try again, yes I have tried the path on 'Jims Tips', using both low and medium quality files [2 - 2.5 hours], done the cut and paste with womble [a demo license I had for a few weeks, but didn't purchase as I could never get acceptable results], wrote out simple final cuts, and burned with both nero and dvdit. I even tried the 'chunk workaround' for sync problems that Jim mentions [Yes, Jim admits that some people have sync problems -- surprise, surprise]. But regardless of what I did, an hour and a half in, the out-of-sync became to hard to take.

I've burned many a dvd with both nero and dvdit from dv tape capture/premiere edit, direct mpeg capture with sony giga-pocket hardware/software, random avi conversion with tmpgenc, all on windows xp and never had a problem.

On the other hand, I have tried virtually every 'hint' and 'flow' described on this board, including splitting the audio with some tool I don't even remember the name of which put out some magic offset number, games with tmpgenc, games with the mpeg version of virtual dub -- but nothing I have been able to do can keep the audio in acceptable sync for more than an hour with files I pull from the replay. In short, given what I have tried, I think you guys are all blowing smoke if you say you can keep audio in sync for two hours. Yeah, I can get it in sync at the start. Or if I use the 'offset adjust' [don't even remember who suggested that], I can get it in sync at any point in the file, but progressively out of sync everywhere else.

And again, given that windows media player, or power dvd, or video lan can take a raw dvarchive file, and play it start to finish -- over several hours -- and never loose sync, I'm sure there could be a simple flow to do the same to a dvd. But I haven't seen it yet. [And the one criteria I put on a 'working flow' is that it does NOT contain the caveat '...if you have audio sync problems, try XXX...' -- which is EXACTLY the caveat in the link recommended in this thread that brought my first 'it don't work' response.]

·
Registered
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by snook10011
I've searched and searched.

I use DVArchive with no problems.

How do I make a DVD of shows with a Macintosh?
Snook, I've had good luck using the software that comes with the "USB Instant DVD for Macintosh" hardware, from Pixela in Japan. There are other methods. I'm waiting to try Toast Titanium 6. (I haven't had a chance to install it.)

Follow this thread for info on other freeware possibilities.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Clay: Sorry you can't get it to work for you. As much as we hate to hear it, the unfortunate truth is that there is no 100% solution.

There has been lengthy debate on this forum as to whether Womble is the problem or if a users' system is the problem. It's so easy to blame Womble, and though Womble MAY be the problem, the fact remains that Womble is simply "sensitive" to specific system configurations. Hardware drivers seem to affect it. Software drivers seem to affect it. Codecs seem to affect it. In fact, some have even found that the order in which you install various video apps can even affect it. Definitly not pretty, because there is no single "magic mix". I tried and couldn't get it to work without doing the copy-chunk/paste method. Others have systems that write files out cleanly without even having to edit. VERY frustrating!

To combat this problem, many suggestions have been made from simply uninstalling codecs, to doing a clean install of Windows, (and then not install ANYTHING other than what's absolutely necessary for video editing.) This may or may not be practical, and unfortunatly, it may or may not solve the problem.

Also, some have recommended using Windows 2000 over Windows XP. I use Windows XP Pro and it works (or at least my "copy-chunk/paste method works.) Others use Windows XP and it doesn't work. Still others use Windows 2000 and it doesn't work. By all means DON'T use anything other than either of those two versions of Windows (like Windows 98)--you are just asking for problems.

Also, you don't mention what model of ReplayTV box are you using. I am using a 5040, so that's all I have to compare. 4000 boxes are SIMILAR, but not exactly the same. I even will contend that different 5000 series builds may vary your results.

The real issue here that everyone needs to understand is that the resulting MPEG-2 file that ReplayTV creates is NOT a pristine file. It has errors and almost always needs to be "cleaned up" somehow. If you record at medium Quality, you WILL get PTS errors, but rarely GOP errors. If you record at High Quality, you WILL get PTS errors AND GOP errors. Womble has proven to be effective MOST of the time. There are other procedures to get excellent audio sync, but it literally takes many hours and requires demuxing, re-compressing the audio in CoolEdit, and then authoring with DVDit. The whole point behind my HOWTO is to come up with a method that will work for MOST people that is fast and maintains video quality and audio sync. THe process is no longer hours, but minutes.

One other question for you: Are you previewing your edited Womble file BEFORE you author your DVD? Try playing the cut file in Womble. Try playing the cut file in a PC-based DVD viewer like PowerDVD. If the audio IS in sync in those programs, then you may want to try a different authoring program (I recommend Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2.) If the audio is NOT in sync, then something messed up in Womble. I would even go as far as previewing the cut file BRFORE you even save it. You don't need to watch the whole thing, just scrub to a place near the end where you can check the aydio sync.

I have said it before, and I will say it again: if the edited file plays well in Womble and PowerDVD, you are almost guaranteed that the file is good. If your authoring application re-renders the file, you are BOUND to have problems. DMF2 is one of the ONLY affordable authoring programs that doesn't re-render Womble-editied files. Why is this important? Because what you see BEFORE you author in Womble or PowerDVD is what you see AFTER it is authored in DMF2.

If you are having problems, your bet bet is to start from scratch and try things out one step at a time until you get it to work. I know you are frustrated, but as I said, unfortunatly, there is no 100% solution.

I have burned around 50 DVDs from ReplayTV recordings using several different methods, all resulting in almost excellent sync. The last 30 or so have been using my method as described in my HOWTO and ALL are excellent. Have I created some duds? Of course! But that was part of the learning process.

Oh, and one huge recommendation: If both your burner and standalone player supports DVD+-RW, by all means test using a re-writable disk. You sill save yourself many coasters.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Thanks Jim -

Appreciate the feedback. The files are from 50x0 machines. No, I didn't try viewing womble output start-to-finish on the pc before burning, but random checks looked [sounded] OK. Some of the files prepared by some of the other methods [looking at the filename to determine the audio offset for example], were so far out of whack, I never bothered to even burn them -- but the womble output was OK. I guess I'l have to try ulead. That's the only part of the process I didn't try [neither dvdit or nero have given me any problems with other files, but I do know that both re-render the womble output so maybe that's where the sync slips].

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hiya! I'm new here, but a search on recording to DVD has been my area of interest. I haven't read the FAQ yet (and I plan to when I'm done here) but I just thought I'd mention some stuff maybe that would help someone or help me.

My equipment is a ReplayTV 5040 and DVArchive 2.1 to work with the 5.0 software (which is really nice btw).

I record some Japanese TV shows to give to friends, and went through many different issues. Premiere 6.5 won't load the file without crashing, TMPGenc suddenly won't process ReplayTV files starting a few weeks ago, and the only way I've been able to have success with synching the audio is with Virtual Dub Mod, by having it move the audio -1100ms on a standard quality Replay file, or -450ms (I believe) on a medium quality. Processing the file and saving it as a DivX file works perfectly, up to a 45 min video at least.

For my tools however, I basically have Virtual Dub Mod and Nero 6 with Nero Express 2. I'm basically wondering it this would allow me to record to DVD: If I process the file through Virtual Dub Mod and save it as a high quality DivX file, will Nero Express 2 then load it and make me a DVD? I just don't know if Nero will like the DivX file, I guess.

Now, I'll go through that FAQ (thank you for that!) but I thought asking the quick and dirty question might save me some time. I'll have to check this womble thing to see if perhaps it'll process quicker. My PC isn't a brand spankin' new Speed Demon, although it once was **thoughtful sigh** :)

Thank you for the help I read in this thread, and for any future help. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I got it, and it's SIMPLE!!!! ^_^

I took a file that I encoded to DivX a bit earlier tonight. A rather low quality, low resolution DivX file of Inu Yasha that I plan to send to a friend who missed last night's episode. There is only one drawback, and I'll get into that.

A recap~ (Please see the end for the good, the bad and the changes)

I have a ReplayTV 5040, and used the following tools on the PC: DVArchive 2.1, Virtual Dub Mod, Nero Express 2. Nero could probably be replaced by your favorite DVD burning software.

I took the video downloaded from the ReplayTV with DVArchive, recorded at standard quality, and brought it into Virtual Dub Mod.

I edited the commercial break out, told it to use full processing on the audio and told it to set the audio offset at -1100 (That's a negative 1100 if your browser broke the line at the dash). How do do that in detail: Pull down Streams, choose Stream List - in the resulting window, right click the stream and choose full processing mode. Right click again and go to compression and set it to MP3 56 kBit, click ok. Yet again, right click the stream again and choose Interleaving, type -1100 into the Delay Audio Track by [ ] ms, click OK.

Pull down Video, choose filters and add Deinterlace. Let it's default, blend, be your selection and ok out of the filters.

Then I saved it out as a DivX file at 320x200 low bitrate (After all, it's not for my friend to keep, just so she doesn't have to wait a month to see it when it repeats). If you wish to resize, use the Pro version of the DivX codec, and use it's resizing feature, as it results in much smoother resizing then Virtual Dub's Filter.

Once the file had saved, I then start Nero Express 2 (Comes with Nero 6) and used it as normal to burn the DVD.

The good, the bad, and the changes:

The good! This is an easy processes. Once you've done it a few times, selecting the options will be a breeze.

The bad! To use MP3 sound compression, Virtual Dub Mod will not allow better then 56 kBit, which is half what most consider acceptable for MP3 music, which is 128k (I like 192k or VBR). For TV, it's sounding great as I watch this Episode of Inu Yasha while I type this. Other sound compression options I have yet to experiment with, but perhaps something will sound better within thier compression schemes.

The changes! You need not change the size of the video on medium or high quality ReplayTV files, but this is where I ask, what is standard DVD resolution? 704x480? If you record on the Replay at standard quality, the video will be squished at half the width on output. You may use Virtual Dub Mod's screen resizing or better yet, the DivX (must be pro to do this) codec's resizing feature to get the full width. If you record a the middle or high quality, you probably won't have to resize the picture as it should be at 704x480.

Changes in the audio: Standard quality recording, set the audio delay for -1100ms. For medium quality, -450ms. I haven't tried highest quality yet.

Ok, so I wrote this being very tired, but I believe it's a quick and easy solution. It'll be all free software, if your burner comes with Nero, and not much if you need to purchase it. Since your DVD burner likely came with some DVD burning software, you can probably use that.

I sure hope this helps, and if anyone proofs this and finds any mistakes, please let me know. I would be very happy to know this has solved many problems I've heard of, and I'm surprised more then you could ever imagine that I figured this out on my own. heh ^_^

Happy encoding!

·
Registered
2 Posts
i've haven't run into these problems with my process, but to double check that i don't have a problem...how would i know if i have these errors with my files i copy over from the 5080? Just curious, cause i've copied 10 or so show since if got it off to DVD and haven't even seen these type errors problems with my method...just wanting to mke sure before i post up how i do it.

RedSix

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RedSix
i've haven't run into these problems with my process, but to double check that i don't have a problem...how would i know if i have these errors with my files i copy over from the 5080? Just curious, cause i've copied 10 or so show since if got it off to DVD and haven't even seen these type errors problems with my method...just wanting to mke sure before i post up how i do it.

RedSix
Well, at least with me, and what it seems to be as a whole here, is the sound is out of synch for all or part of the program transferred to DVD. For me, specifically, the video would be completely out of synch for the entire program transferred to DVD.

What is your method? If you have something simpler then what I wrote (which really is easy once you see it in action - I'm willing to make screen shots :)) I would love to know. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.