AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new JVC 48" widescreen rear projection TV.

I hooked up my DVD player, I watched Lord of the Rings in widescreen but now, the SIDES are chopped and so is the top and bottom.

How can I utilize the whole widescreen?

Is it the DVD player?

Should I buy another one, the one I have is 3 years old and it is not progressive scan, and it is a very basic model.

Thanks. Sorry for the rookiesque type question.

JL

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Are you saying that you watched LOTR the first time and it displayed correctly and then you watched the same DVD a second time and the sides were chooped off?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I watched it for the first time in my widescreen tv that I just got.

It won't utilize the whole screen.

The sides are chopped and the top and bottom. It is treating my widescreen as a regular tv.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
You've got the Full Screen version of the movie. You need to have the widescreen version.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rbmcgee
You've got the Full Screen version of the movie. You need to have the widescreen version.
I have the widescreen version.

I just called GoodGuys and gave them the model number of my DVD player and he said it won't utilize the widescreen since it don't have the 16:9 option. My DVD player will always assume that the TV is 4:3 so therefore, there will be black bars on the top and bottom, and now I have them on sides too.

This DVD player I have is about 4 years old so I need to buy another one.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
solved

·
Registered
28,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JL 74
I have the widescreen version.

I just called GoodGuys and gave them the model number of my DVD player and he said it won't utilize the widescreen since it don't have the 16:9 option. My DVD player will always assume that the TV is 4:3 so therefore, there will be black bars on the top and bottom, and now I have them on sides too.

This DVD player I have is about 4 years old so I need to buy another one.
The salesman from GoodGuys is either a moron or is just trying to sell you a new DVD player. Every DVD player has an option for a 16:9 television. It is a requirement of the DVD spec.

You need to go into your DVD player's setup menus when there is no disc in the player and change the TV Type setting to 16:9 or "Widescreen".

·
Registered
128 Posts
Also, you need to know that Lord Of the rings is 2.35:1 aspect ratio and your TV is 16:9 (1.77:1) so ARE going to see black bars on top and bottom, if you want to view the full picture without cutting anything off.

Quote:
Every DVD player has an option for a 16:9 television
I used to think like that until last week. I found a DVD player ( my neighbor's) , in which I could not set 16:9 mode using buttons available on the remote and the front panel (It was Sony 5 disk changer). My neighbor did not have operating instructions and hence I can not firmly say that it did not support it. He is least bothered by this fact and just uses zoom to fill the screen. Needless to say that IMO, picture is simply unwatchable!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.