Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am currently using a Toshiba 57" RPTV that is capable of 1080i. Is there a video scaler on the market that will allow me to convert multiple video sources to 1080i? I would like to upconvert signals from Digital Cable, Progressive Scan DVD and xBox signals to 1080i.

Also, my RPTV does not support 720p. Can I display a 720p signal if the conversion is done outside the RPTV and then passed in?

I visited my brother-in-law this weekend and he is running a 7" CRT Front Projector onto a 119" screen. Very nice setup.

He was using a video scaler (possibly Faroudja) to upconvert all of his signals.

He stated that there was a version of this product that would upconvert all signals to 1080i?

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I believe the DVP-3000 will do 1080i. The DVP-1000 may, as well. I don't think either of these take 720p in.

The Lumagen series of scalers will convert all 480i formats to 1080i, as well, and are cheaper than the Faroudja solutions.

If you're not concerned with fantastic quality, there are a few lower end boxes (the AVT-3700, the Viewsonic N6, etc...) - I believe some of these units will convert 480i sources to 1080i, but I'm not sure which ones. Do a search to find out.

-Jon

·
Registered
385 Posts
jfstarr,

I think I remember showing you that front projection setup :) !! Anyhow, will your set support 1080i/540p or just 1080i? If it supports 540p the Faroudja NRS at 540p may be a decent option. The setup we were running was a Faroudja NRS at 720p. Good seeing you again!!

~Ryan

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Typically with a RPTV that handles 1080i, you would get scaler like the NRS that outputs 540P. Since the TV sees 1080i and 540p as the same, the signal from the scaler bypasses the internal scaler of the set. For 720p, you would either have the set upscale the 720p to 1080i or you would need an outside scaler that could that. To be honest, while an external scaler can make a difference on a RPTV, It wont be day and night difference

·
Registered
385 Posts
Daniel,

Most of the material you would receive in 1080i or 720p is going to be HD OTA, SAT, or cable channels unless you're lucky enough to have DVHS. Most receivers have the ability to output multiple resolutions...480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i...so they do their own internal scaling...may not be the best, but it works. I have the Panasonic TDUHS20 OTA/DirecTV receiver and it scales all material to 720p for me. I realize that not all are capable of this but most are. jfstarr, chances are that if you get an HD cable receiver that it will output all material in 1080i....even the ABC / ESPN HD 720p broadcasts.

~Ryan

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Ryan

You are of course right about the many receivers now having the abilty to choose the output resolution. But if your TV doesnt do 720p, why would you want the receiver to output 720 when the set would want 1080i

·
Registered
385 Posts
Daniel,

That's not what I was trying to imply.....simply put that if you receive a 720p signal (ABC / ESPN HD) some receivers will cross-convert it to 1080i for use in some older RPTV's that only handle 1080i. jfstarr could do this for HD broadcasts...but things like XBOX or DVHS that may output native 720p, well now you need an HD deinterlacer. That's all.

~Ryan

·
Banned
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by reg152
JB,

Correction, can't FULLY resolve 1080i....it may still display a decent yet soft image.

~Ryan
you haven't corrected me. it can't resolve 1080i. maybe 720. not 1080. it may display an image, but it's not a 1080 line image.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by James Bond
you haven't corrected me. it can't resolve 1080i. maybe 720. not 1080. it may display an image, but it's not a 1080 line image.
JB,

Your correct about not displaying all 1080 lines....thus the quote...not FULLY resolve 1080i.

~Ryan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.