AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first question and I promise they will get better...

I am getting a house built and I have to finalize what I want done but Wednesday ( 2-06-08 ) so they can get ready to break ground...

I am getting a half finished basement which will be my home theater room...

Just to give you some info, I already have a Mitsubishi 62" DLP rear projection TV and I will be adding audio down the road ( I will save that for another question down the road )...

My question is, is there a rule about the color or shade of carpet to use or stay away from? With the ideal about reflection from the screen onto the floor...

Sorry for the odd question, but this is my first real home theater room that I am putting together... Still trying to learn the baseics...

Thank for any information...

David S.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Welcome ! The general rule for flooring in a home theater is the darker the better. You also want it to be as non reflective as possible.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just my .02. I have tan/cream colored carpet in our basment/rec room. I have a 55-in rear projection tv. I have never ever been watching TV and thought, "Oh my!!! What is that horrible reflective glare from the carpet?!?!?!?"

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,204 Posts
The rules that apply for Front Projection systems are not as strict for RP set ups. However if you every think you might crossover to a FP set-up, you might as well get a darker shade carpet to be prepared.

If you talk to the guys here who have made the transition, very few wish to return.

A fully immerse theater experience can best be duplicated with a very large image. The price of HD quality projectors is now probably equal or less than you paid for your TV. Just something to think about as you plan your first "Home Theater"

·
Registered
587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/13016008

The rules that apply for Front Projection systems are not as strict for RP set ups. However if you every think you might crossover to a FP set-up, you might as well get a darker shade carpet to be prepared."

Good advice!! I concur...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/13016008

The price of HD quality projectors is now probably equal or less than you paid for your TV.

No probable about that one, Bigmouthin DC....HD quality projectors start at $1200. Let's see what you could get for $1200 in a TV set....

Hehehehe Poor devils...If they only knew.....

Best,

Tom

Chinaclipper

1 - 7 of 7 Posts