AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new to the forum and have a few questions. I'm in the market for my first home theater system. I had my sights set on a RPTV, either Hitachi 57twx20b or Toshiba 57HDX82. Then came across this forum and the front projectors seem popular here.

So now I'm wondering how a FP would compare to a RPTV? I'm watching in a dimlit basement, about 10' to 12' away. If I went with front projector I'd prefer to watch 4:3 tv shows at 40" to 50" screen size, and widescreen movies at 70" to 80". My budget is under $5000. Can a front projector display a 50" screen with the same quality as a RPTV? If so, which models do you guys recommend?

Thanx a lot.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well I was in the same boat 7 months ago. Decided to buy a RPTV, 16:9 for my basement. Then I found this forum... After I realized how big the RPTV would be, the mess to move it to my basement, move it again if I had to move and so on, I thought a PJ would be a great idea!

So I bought mine in April and could not be happier! My screen is 64"x36", 16:9. This gives me a 4:3 picture equivalent to a 61" diagonal RPTV what is pretty big! For 16:9 video, it is much bigger. :)

As I watch mostly HDTV and DVDs, I got a 16:9 PJ, LCD. With total light control, brightness is not an issue! I even run it in low mode.

For screens about this size, screendoor is not an issue and the picture is great.

Comparing to the RPTV, picture quality I would say is great! Of course in my particular PJ, black levels (what you will see in dark scenes) are not as good as the RPTV. But for everything else, I prefer it, no doubt.

C

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Crodrigues.

That's good to hear. Which PJ did you end up buying?

I'm watching about 80% tv shows on analog cable (no HDTV yet) and 20% movies. So I'm still undecided about a front PJ. If I watched mostly movies on it, then I'd go front for the big effect. Since I'm not, a RPTV may be more suited for me. On the other hand a 300 pound RPTV is not very appealing to me either. I have room for it, but I don't like to own anything that weighs more than my upright piano, unless it's a house or a car. :)

Anyone else think I should stick with RPTV?

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
IMHO, a projector can exceed the viewing experience of a RPTV.

I have the NEC HT1000 and it is working nicely for both wide screen movies and 4:3 TV. Here is my setup.

I have the projector set up with a 11' throw distance. The produces a wide screen image of about 90-110" depending on how the zoom is set. I have it set at the 90" range and I'm view from 11'.

I am using a Motorola/Comcast digital/HDTV decoder box for my TV viewing. This box has some options regarding the display of non-HD programming. You can choose 480i or 480p and it scales the iamae to fit the projector screen. But you can also leave it set in "by pass" mode for non-HD programming, and it scales the 480i image inside of the projection area, with blanking on top, bottom, left and right. This setup allows the the non-HD source to look much cleaner than when it is scalled to fill the screen. As a result, this setup almost provides a 50" size image of the non-HD 4:3 material, inside the 90" projection area without any adjustments required on my part.

If you want a smaller inset 4:3 image, you can shorten up the projector throw distance. The zoom wide for movies and zoom small for 4:3 TV programming.

The street price on the NEC is well within your budget and I'm still watching the HT1000 off a flat white painted wall, with terriffic results. I may eventually get a screen once I decide on the thype and optimum size.

Bottom line... a front projection setup can exceed a RPTV. Mine certainly does.

Happy shoopping

RJ

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
FP is definitely better then RP. I would also get a decent screen, so did you take that into consideration when you said you had 5000 for the projector

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the further info. You guys are getting me excited about FP now. That's the type of thing I wanted to hear. :)

My budget of $5000 was including a projector, DVD player, screen, and if anything left over towards surround sound system. Your NEC HT1000 sounds great, but costs too much if I want all those other goodies. May have to go with the PLV-Z1 that everyone's talking about.

Or what do you guys recommend? I live up in Canada. Also, any recommendations on screens?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the newbie-ness. :)

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Also check out the Infocux X1, same street price as the Sanyo PLV-Z1. Reviews should be coming soon, the projector is just rolling out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I got the AE100 7 months ago. Now, close to 1,100 hours on it without a single problem.

And I am also from Canada. Before you ask, I got it from Japan. :)

Buying eletronics in Canada is the worst thing for me. Overpriced in all possible ways. I want to pay a premium for local warranty, support etc. But a premium usually on the 30-50% range is more like a rip off. :D

I would go for the Z1 now for sure! The screen I made myself using the famous Parkland plastics. Just do a search to figure out what I am talking about. Total cost, less than CDN$ 100.00. :D

This left lots of room for nice speakers, receiver etc.

C

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, many items are sure overpriced up here. I was looking at the Grand Wega II 60" at one point and the Sony Store wants $8000. That's way too much. May have to buy through Ebay or some place online.

I can't go with a plastic panelling, since the screen will be sort of in the middle of the room. I need a pull down screen that can be mounted to the ceiling so I can draw it up when not in use. A motorized screen would be cool, in a James Bond kinda way. :) May have to cut costs there though.

Anybody know where to buy a screen and PLV-Z1 in Canada? Seems like folks aren't too thrilled with the Infocus X1 so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.