AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a reman'd panny tu-hds20. I will not mount an antenna on my roof, unless it is tiny. I live in central bucks county about 25 mi north of Phila, PA. This is my plan, am I wasting my time?

Try cheapo $4 RS Rabbit ears at tv set. If it doesn't work, then run rg-6 to the attic and try same cheapo antenna there. If it still doesn't work, stick a double bow tie up there.

My real question is, what is the likelyhood that I will be able to have an attic mounted antenna that can receive all OTA channels (they are all in one direction) without having to move the antenna?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
A tiny antenna is a junk antenna. But if it works for your location, you are just lucky. I am 12 miles from the towers and need a big antenna and a rotor, even for stations on the same tower. I have a rotor outside, and another in my atic.

So as to aiming: If they are all lined up, you should be ok if it is very flat all around you and you don't have buildings reflecting strange multipath at you. Otherwise you could have to aim for different stations. The antennas beam width can make a difference too: wider is better if the stations aren't quite in line, but narrower should be better if your multipath is making each signal come in from all over the place.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am pretty lucky. I am about 40 miles from Sutro Tower where most of the SF transmitters are located. Out of the the 13 SF Bay Area OTA DTV stations, I can receive almost half of them on my Samsung T150 STB using only a cheap rabbit ears/loop combination. Using the Terk TV-5 sitting on top of my center channel speaker, I can receive every single one of them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have already gone ahead and ran the rg6 to my attic. I am in a rather flat area and there are no buildings over 3 stories within 5 miles of my house that I can think of. So all I have to lose is the $5 for the cheap-o rabbit ears. I can live with that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW, antennaweb says I'm red (medium directional) What is the best known performing antenna in this classificiation that I could fit up through my attic trpa door? It's about 16x24".

·
Registered
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Coates
BTW, antennaweb says I'm red (medium directional) What is the best known performing antenna in this classificiation that I could fit up through my attic trpa door? It's about 16x24".
I put a massive 14-foot Radio Shack antenna through my 24-inch square attic trap door. It came packaged in a long slender box which I was able to maneuver into the attic, and I was able to unpackage and install the thing right up there. I since put it on the roof, however, and disassembly took some time (and a helper, my patient wife).

So I would say you're probably only constrained by your actual attic space, rather than the access door. Good luck -- HDTV is worth the effort. (And to me it's kind of fun to go 'back to the future' and install an old-fashioned tv antenna!)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But in the attic you run into the whole hieght vs size issue. Obviously I could fit a huge antenna in there if it sat 6" off the ground. Am I better of this way or with a much smaller antenna mounted 3 feet higher up? I have a short attic since my upstairs bedrooms have a 45 degree slant on the front and back walls where the roofline comes down. the attic is only about 50" tall at the peak.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I stuck a dual bowtie (with the balun solder mod) in my gable vent that happens to point in the exact correct direction. I checked the regular uhf channels and they all seem pretty snowy. Without even having a VHF antenna, I get nbc, cbs and pbs beautifully clear. I fear that this isn't going to be good enough. I wonder if the gable slats or the screen behind them (I think they're vinyl) are making it worse. I just figure exposure to the outside would be helpful.

My TU-HDS20 comes tomorrow so that'll be the real test. Unfortunately, it has no OTA signal meter but I will try to experiment with other positions in the attic if I'm not getting all 5 DTV feeds. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The double bowtie is a RS antenna. It's like $17 and fits perfectly in my gable vent (to give you an idea of size. The balun mod is to remove the 300 ohm wires that are riveted to the antenna and instead solder a 300/75 ohm converter (balun) to those rivet spots.

Tons of info on this here: Huge Improvement in RS double bowtie

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I plugged in the receiver and after going a channel scan, I was receivng ALL my digital channels except for NBC. Does anyone near philly also have trouble with NBC only?

·
Registered
22,155 Posts
I can receive all Philly stations. NBC comes in okay here (Collingswood, NJ) not great, but usually stays locked.

It is my understanding that all stations are NOT transmitting at full power yet. Hopefully by November, they will begin migrating to the new 1600' tower.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.