AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I am a newbie to this forum but a regular on the DirecTV forum. I have the following and need advice.

Sony 40XBR700 hooked up as follows

input 1- cable tv ( no Box just locals and basic )

input 2 - 2 sat directv feeds into a sony T60 Tivo ( dual tuners enabled

input 3- 2 sat directv feeds into a hughes DirecTivo series 2 ( dual tuners enabled

input 4- Sony 900 hometheatre w/ dvd

the reason for 2 tivo's on one tv is to allow PIP for NFL sunday tkt until I got the series 2 Tivo I had to use the basic cable feed for the PIP ( only could see local games on PIP)

What I want to do, since I dont have the HD DirecTV dish (its too big for my apartment ledge in NYC cureently have a round dual LNB dish) so I figure the best i can do is get an HDTV reciever ( dont know which one will work best with this TV and after reading about all the input problems (i.e DVI, RGB etc..) which I dont have enough knowledge to understand. connect the basic cable to the HDTV reciever and then use that one input 1 therfore for whatever channels broadcast HDTV on basic i.e CBS, NBC , MSG ) I can watch those HDTV programs and for premium channels watch them on non HDTV DirecTV.

So please answer these questions for me

1. under these circumstances what is the best HDTV reciever to get and how would all my hookups go I have no idea about DVI or RGB I do know from S video

2. Is there a better solution you can think of for me 9 i.e. better set up

3. Should I try to squeeze in a larger dish and then get the HD Directv reciever

4. I know that Tivo currently cannot record HDTV but could it get be connected to the HD Directv reciever

I realize I put a lot out there and I appreciate any in depth help I can get.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK lets assume we don't go with directv HD signal since limited shows

Must i have an antennae for OTA HDTV isn't the signal coming in on my basic cable feed from Time Warner HD? if I do need an antennae which one and how much is one and how big and therefore is the basic cable feed useless for me correct?

I am sorry but you mentioned DVI (not applicable on your set). DVI (digital video input?) will not work for my TV why? is that good or bad?

"HD200 accepts 3 inputs (Sat, Ant, & Cable). The HD STB should be connected via Component, RGB, or DVI (not applicable on your set). You could connect the HD STB to Component and your T60 to S-video".

let me try to understand I connect One of my Sat feeds to the HD2000 and also the basic cable feed? then connect from the HD2000 to the TV via Red Green Black ( currently used by home theater DVD) or yellow red white (component) or is there another choice ? which do you recommend (i.e which gives a better signal) then also from HD2000 to the Sony TIvo T60? but it cant accept an HDTV feed and then does the other feed for the T60 ( dual tuners ) come from the sat?

or else what feeds the T60 2 are needed.

lastly I read here on the forum people complaining about the inputs/outputs for the Sony as well as overheating issues and some recommend the samsung what's your opinion? will the HD2000 work better with a sony TV?

·
Registered
506 Posts
You must have an antenna to receive HD local networks via OTA ("over the air"). Your previous post did not mention receiving local HD on cable - if you do then OTA would be redundant.

DVI is a digital connector offered on the newest TVs. The idea is to maintain a completely digital signal until display for best picture quality. Don't worry about your TV no having DVI as it is included on only those released during the last 6+ months.

You can connect local local cable feed to the HD200 if the encoding is compatible. Ask TW what encoding standard they use in your area (if it is 8xxx it's compatible, if it is QAMxxx it's not compatible).

A quick Google search shows that your TV supports 3 S-video connections (2 rear, 1 front) and 2 rear-panel Hi-Scan component video (compatible with 1080i/480p/480i signals). You should refer to your manual to identify these as yellow/red/white is not component.

In any case, you should connect the DVD play to one component input, a HD receiver (D* or Cable as applicable) to the other component input, the T60 to a Svideo input (best PQ connection on the T60), etc.

I do not know what you mean by people complaining about Sony inputs/outputs and overheating. Forum members have expressed a desire for simultanous outputs for recording (you don't need since you have the T60) and some have experienced rebooting (never read anything referring to overheating). The HD200 runs alot cooler to the touch than the T60.

I'm signing off. Read your TV manual, the T60 manual and the HD200 manual referenced above. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.