AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone point me to the FAQ or thread that best explains what is required for Direct TV HDTV reception.

I understand that both analog OTA of local HDTV content exists as well as DirecTV HD content. It is also my understanding that Direct TV is the only way to receive both SD and HD off a single dish.

I have already purchased an 18" round dish, but it seems I need the eliptical dish instead. Is this the case?

What do each of the 3(?) DirecTV satellites provide as far as content is concerned?

TIA,

Kelly

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
I understand that both analog OTA of local HDTV content exists
It's actually digital OTA.

Quote:
Direct TV is the only way to receive both SD and HD off a single dish
Using a single eliptical dish. Yes.

Quote:
I have already purchased an 18" round dish, but it seems I need the eliptical dish instead. Is this the case?
There is another thread with the topic of using 2 18" dishes instead on an eliptical dish.

Quote:
What do each of the 3(?) DirecTV satellites provide as far as content is concerned?
101=Main programming

110=Some locals in North Carolina

119=Spanish channels, HDTV, NASA and some locals (I think)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help.

Kelly

·
Registered
109 Posts
Kelly,

You could go with DISH network and use your 18 inch round dish for HDTV 148 bird and get a TWIN LNB Eliptical for 110 and 119. They point about 90 degrees apart and can be mounted on the same pole. A simple SW21 to combine with a DISH 6000 receiver and OTA module. A good VHF UHF antenna and you are in business. Channels 3,6,10,12,29 broadcast digital signals as well as analog.

Impala Bob

VS-50803 and DISH 6000 w/OTA module http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the setup that Impala Bob detailed. Works great. Check out the threads on Dish vs DirecTV. If your after HDTV there is more content available on Dish.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where the heck is Schwenksville? I'm in Center City.

I'll look into Dish guys. Being downtown, location of the satellites is important with big buildings all around me.

Thanks,

Kelly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.