AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sony 60" sxrd xbr2 that accepts 1080P but my OPPO 981 (playing at 1080P) doesn't really seem any better than my 971 did at 720P. I'm thinking about buying the Toshiba HD-A2 but it only converts to 720P or 1080i. Do you think I would see much of a difference between the Toshiba and the Oppo's. I know Toshiba makes a 1080P player but it's out of my price range. Any other player suggestions would be appreciated also.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok the verdict so far is that the player is excellent. I used 1 HD DVD and 1 SD DVD and the picture was outstanding with both. One thing I did not on the SD disc is that the noise I have in the pictue is gone. It wasn't much but it's not there anymore. I'm very happy with it. I'm going to experiment with the 720P and 1080i settings to see if there's a difference. I've only been using 1080 so far. This player out performs my Oppo 971 and 981.

·
Registered
16,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mliebs8 /forum/post/0

What do you mean by layer change?

The capacity of SD DVDs is less than the length of a movie, so they use 2 layers to fit the movie on one side of a SD DVD. My Denon upscaling player has a buffer, and I have never noticed a pause as it changed layers until I played SD DVDs on my A2 - a very noticeable pause. This is not an issue with HD-DVDs (the whole movie fits on one layer).

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/0

The capacity of SD DVDs is less than the length of a movie, so they use 2 layers to fit the movie on one side of a SD DVD. My Denon upscaling player has a buffer, and I have never noticed a pause as it changed layers until I played SD DVDs on my A2 - a very noticeable pause. This is not an issue with HD-DVDs (the whole movie fits on one layer).

Actually the 30 Gig HD-DVD disks are 2 layers. But I think invisible layer change is a requirement for all HD-DVD players.

mliebs8, I think you will find the picture on 1080i is your best bet, especially when playing HD-DVD's, and probably on DVD's as well. And I agree with you on DVD upconversion, my A2 does a better job of up-converting than my old Oppo 971.

·
Registered
312 Posts

Quote:

...Do you think I would see much of a difference between the Toshiba and the Oppo's. ....

As you may have read by looking through threads, I have both the 981 and the A2. To my eyes, on my Sony LCD flat panel 1080p, the A2 has a slightly sharper picture although the stereo sound is better on the Oppo.

Quote:

Well I just picked it up about an hour ago .... Ok the verdict so far is that the player is excellent. I used 1 HD DVD and 1 SD DVD and the picture was outstanding with both. One thing I did not on the SD disc is that the noise I have in the pictue is gone. .... This player out performs my Oppo 971 and 981.

That was quick. I guess you really didn't need my input, but its nice to see we both see the same improvement. My Oppo still has a place in my home, though, for its better audio & ability to handle PAL movies & SACD.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.