AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have bought a Yamaha RX V481 av receiver and a SVS SB12 NSD subwoofer for my 14x22x8 room. I now need to decide on a set of 5.1 speaker system - budget around $500.

I was going to by 5 identical emp tek r5bis, but wasn't sure if the same ones can be used as front, center and surround speakers for my setup. Another one I considered was the SVS prime 5.1 speakers but these emptek ones seem bigger than those. Bigger is better?

If I posted in the wrong forum, please let me know. It is my first post here.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Bigger in not necessarily better, sometimes bigger is just well.....bigger. To answer your question yes you can use the same speakers for L/C/R and surrounds, many do. Typically you use larger speakers up front and smaller speakers for surround duties just because the surrounds are not tasked with as much to do as the front three.

Not having heard either speaker I can't provide any suggestions either way, but I will point to you Ascend, they have a wide variety of speakers to choose from and I have heard them. The 170SE's are a solid good sounding speaker. I also have Polk M10's and like those as well. The 170SE's are more than the speakers you have mentioned and the Polks cost less.

Regards,

RTROSE

1 - 2 of 2 Posts