AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, love this forum, hope you can help me with some speakers. I just bought a Yamaha 5860 from Etronics for $325 shipped. This leaves me with $300 for speakers. My current setup is a Teac HTIB, so you can see that anything will be an improvement.

I've seen a lot of good talk on the Athena Micras and the Yamaha NS series. I've also read that not all speakers play nice with my 5860 receiver.

This setup will be for a very large room, not sure if I should set it up as 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1. I appreciate all advice, cheers, BBT.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If it is a very large room then I do not think you will be happy with either of the choices you mentioned. You will need larger bookshelf speakers to fill a larger room. $300 is not a lot of money to spend for two speakers let alone 7.1

Look for closeouts on name-brand bookshelf speakers with at least 5" woofers. Look at the several popular online direct speaker manufacturers as well. With a little savy you should be able to pick up front and center speakers for that much. When you have the cash, get a good subwoofer next and then your surround speakers.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Check out www.fluance.com they have some pretty good starter sets for that price range for a 5.1 system.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I was kinda afraid I'd get some bad news on my price range. I am hoping to use some cagey internet buying to make this happen. Thank you for the Fluance link, that looks like a great possibility!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Jr.com has JBL E80's for $299.00 shipped....That might be a good choice. It will only get U your front L/R, but its a start.. U could use the center, rears, and sub from your HTIB...

Matt

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did a little more research on Fluance, this thread helped a lot http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=fluance

And just in case someone is doing a search on the 5860 and comes across this, I am loving this unit!

Saw some talk on the Polk R50, I guess I'll have to take a look at that to. I'd like to say all these choices are frustrating, but really, I enjoy the hunt!

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
The R50s and R15s were on sale last weekend at Frys for $140 and $50 a pair and sound very nice. You could pickup a matching Polk center for ~ $100-$150, then maybe a Dayton sub for around $120 shipped. You'd be slightly over budget, but you'd have a very nice sounding 5.1 setup. If no Frys, then Outpost, you'll have to wait for the sales.

Good luck.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think you could get some Paradigm Performance series speakers. Not a 7.1 system but at least a start. They are good sounding speakers at good prices and can also be commonly found on ebay.

Do you want decent speakers, or just loud speakers?

I wouldn't even consider floorstanders for $300 or less. You will be getting a crappy product that can play loud. Good floorstanding speakers are expensive and you are paying more for the cabinet and the mulit mini woofers inside of them. You can get decent bookshelves for that money though. Good quality bookshelves will give you a better value for $300 and sound much better. I'd rather have smaller quality speakers than larger speakers which might be louder. You might not get earth shattering results, but you will get better sound. My two cents worth.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Look at JBL E30's if you want to do matching speakers all the way around. I spent slightly over $400 for 6 of them, the fill my room very nicely. You could get 4 of them for ~$280, and save a little for a new center channel.

·
Registered
28,976 Posts
You'd be best starting off with just two speakers for now and building on that. Since you live in Seattle, check your local Good Guys because they've been clearing out for quite some time the Energy C-3 bookshelfs around $250/pr and the C-5 Floorstanding speakers for about $375 pr. This is roughly 50% off the normal price. And they mate well with Yamaha receivers.

May want to try the Bic Acoustech HT-75 towers as an alternative to Klipsch. Great review and a little over $300 w/shipping.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoneTone
This setup will be for a very large room, not sure if I should set it up as 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1. I appreciate all advice, cheers, BBT.
Just exactly how large is the room? If it is bigger than about 4,000 cubic feet, I'd second (and third...) the opinions of those who say that you should look for a nice pair of good quality speakers and save up to purchase a center and surrounds later... Forget about anything beyond 5.1.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
afrogt, you are right about Good Guys clearing items out; they "cleared out" all their stores but 1 a few weeks ago. It was quite strange, just left in the night. I was at our local GG checking out a Denon and salesguy gave me no indication they were audi in just 2 days, oh well, for another thread I guess.

Hmmm, everyone here really has valid points and sadly, when it comes to tech, I am easily convinced. Couple other factors; Baby #2 is on the way, so I need to get the toys in the house prior. As sound an idea as buying just a few solid pieces, I should really get as much as I can now.

Mash asked the question if I want good speakers or just loud. I'm sure this is one of those questions that seperates the good from the newbie. Alas, I am not an audiophile. I even thought my Teac system sounded pretty good *cowers behind chair*

When I started this search, I really expected to just be able to afford bookshelf size speakers. I was very surprised to see a few sets that have floorstanding speakers to be in my range. I'm thinking mainly Fluance here. Is this fools gold or something I should consider?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Budget man's gold is more like it. Consider it... consider it well. :cool:

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
People claim that for the money, Fluance is awesome. Nothing in its price range can beat it. If you want something that sounds better, you will have to be prepared to spend much more.

With toddlers and babies around, playing with toy cars and running around, I would say get something like the Fluances now. They will give you good sound, and you would be less likely to "care" if they get blemished by day to day rough run-ins. In 20 years when you are retiring and they are schooling, treat yourself to something better if you are still interested then!

·
Registered
219 Posts
********** is having a show special on the ELT LRS Special Editions at $149 per pair.

You could start with 4 of these for $300.

-David

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great point on the toddler-damage issue. We have a 3 year old that thinks it's funny to put his horses in the cave. The cave being my subwoofer cone.

And now I've started to dance with the dark mistress of Ebay. I've been looking at what I think are great deals on large speakers, but I don't know enough to recognize a good deal from trash.

Does anyone have a site or info that could help school me on what older speakers to snag if possible? Thanks again, BBT

·
Registered
28,976 Posts
Quote:
afrogt, you are right about Good Guys clearing items out; they "cleared out" all their stores but 1 a few weeks ago. It was quite strange, just left in the night. I was at our local GG checking out a Denon and salesguy gave me no indication they were audi in just 2 days, oh well, for another thread I guess.

I see what you mean now. There's only 1 store left in Washington, its a CompUSA/Good Guys megastore in Puyallup. We've still got plenty of regular GG plus megastores in Calif. I guess they're pulling out of your market. Oh well, the Energy's are great buys at the reduced prices but it looks like you need to get everything while you can. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Hmm,

I'd see if I could double that budget and then look used and you can get a killer pair of speakers that will last a long long time. Then it won't be so expensive since you won't have to upgrade.

Seth

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.