AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, i am looking into purchasing a pioneer sc-1223 receiver and a pair of goldenear triton three's. My question is this,will the pioneer be enough to power the triton three's or will i need an amp? Also i plan on getting a super sat 50 for the center channel. So basically it's going to be l/c/r system.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
If you're in an apartment and don't plan on loud/reference levels then I wouldn't worry about that avr being inadequate at all....but I'd settle on speakers before I completely settled on amplification needs...or if you might be able to get out of an apartment and into a more private space. What other speakers do you like? I, as a big fan, would advise to look at Ascend Acoustics, probably the Sierra Towers or Horizons in that price range (or Sierra-2 if perhaps thinking bookshelf and for a bit less). Are you planning on using a sub? Subs will also lessen the demand on an avr's amp sectiion....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need some preouts,just in case. My plan is to start out with the two psb t6,then adding a center. Eventually getting to 5.1. I need some good clean power. This will mostly be used for movies(75%). At least 5 HDMI, audyssey.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Just looked at the stereophile review measurements http://www.stereophile.com/content/psb-image-t6-loudspeaker-measurements , they do have low impedance in the upper bass/lower midrange area but for apartment use I still think most avr's rated for 4 ohms are going to do fine and with 89 dB sensitivity are going to play pretty loudly with avr power. Having pre-outs is an option I prefer as well, though. Pioneer doesn't have Audyssey, Pioneer has MCACC; both have pluses and minuses (and I've used both) but Audyssey has more capability for working with subs. Once you do get a sub keep in mind some of the heavy lifting will be done by the sub's amp....

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Well, my last Pioneer avr suffered an hdmi breakdown after about 2 years so haven't been eager to go back to Pioneer for the time being. My current main avr is an Onkyo (HT-RC370 with Audyssey XT). If I were looking now I'd probably look at the Denon or Onkyo units with Audyssey XT32 (and off the top of my head believe they are both rated for 4 ohms). But that's me. What's your budget?

·
Banned
16,232 Posts

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
I think the problems are a bit overstated on forums like this but Onkyo has had some fairly famous issues with HDMI boards (but then my Onkyo hasn't had one but my Pioneer did altho the Onkyo is in service only a bit longer at this point) altho I don't think there's been many reports of an issue with the 818 (and sometimes this can be ventilation related, avrs can build up a lot of heat). The 818 had an issue related to frame rate but pretty sure that was corrected in a firmware update but haven't followed that thread as much as I did when I was thinking about buying one (ended up just working with what I've got....an Onkyo avr in the living room, the partly functioning Pioneer (the usb input for my ipod works fine) in the garage, a Sony in my bedroom plus I have a couple two channel preamps and several power amps so it's not like I'm exactly in need of anything
).

As for speakers I haven't heard either the PSB or KEF lineups, have been very happy with my various Ascend Acoustics speakers; their stock Sierra-1 would fit in your budget and is an excellent speaker. I have the Sierra-1s as fronts in my living room but with the upgraded NrT tweeters (the stock tweeters are quite good, too). Am building my next subs (drivers arrived today!) as well as my next set of speakers (probably diysoundgroup.com's SEOS kit based)....good luck in your hunt. Don't know if you've noticed this thread, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1354492/the-ill-demo-my-speakers-for-other-enthusiasts-thread , like the title says, where people will demo their gear for you, should you be close enough to those offering to take advantage of that. There's a similar sub thread. Good luck in your hunt and hopefully others will give you some ideas also...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts