AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Home Theater virgin, and need help to be sure I am going with a good choice. I purchased AV/Speakers already. My room is roughy 18' by 11' with 9' ceilings. It will be dark gray, has no windows, is a separate room in the basement. I am looking at a 100" Elite fixed screen. I have done a lot of research and I am looking at purchasing the Infocus X10. I found the calculator and the throw distance is 14.8, seating is 10-16, so I think that should be ok. I am wondering what else I need to consider or worry about. Is this a good choice for entry level enthusiast who wants 1080p. Is the screen size a good fir for my room or do I go bigger/smaller? Also, for screen choices, should I be looking at Cinewhite or Cinegray?

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just went through the same thing. My room is 12x17. I built my own 120 inch screen from DW laminate for $75. I figured if I didnt like it, I could always spend money on an expensive screen.

I picked the Epson 6100 over the X10 because I could never see the X10 in person. I paid more ($300) for the epson but they seem to have the best customer service and I got a free bulb with it.

My advice would be to wait on buying the screen. Get the PJ first and shoot it on the wall. I know 100" sounds big but you may want to go bigger.

White screen = better whites

Gray screen = better blacks

Depends on which color you want to help out.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
The X10 is a great choice and should work fine in this setup. Since you are projecting on the 11' wall, I'm not sure you will be able to go much larger than the screen you are considering unless you go with an acoustically transparent screen and put the speakers behind it. For example, my 110" screen is 8' wide, which would only give you 1.5' on either side of the screen for speakers and sub.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts