AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am building my first theater room and have a few questions regarding subwoofers and placement.

First, my Theater room is in the basement. Concrete floor with carpet, 3 concrete walls, 1 interior drywalled wall and unfinished ceiling painted flat gray. Room dimensions are 12' wide, 19' long and 7' 4"' to bottom of ceiling joices. There is a 4' wide hallway at the front left of the room and the stairs come down the back of the room.

My audio equipment is a Denon 1913 rx, Infinity Primus 150 fronts, Infinity PC251 center and Dayton SAT-BK's for sides and rear. I initially purchased a Dayton SUB-1500 as my budget is not very large.

I did a quick setup with the sub in the front right hand corner of the room and was not very impressed. I have a horrible null where I would prefer to sit, about 12 - 13' from the front wall and centered in the room. The back of the room had decent bass but it was almost non existant in my prefered seating location.

With a budget of under $400 I was wondering if a Premier Acoustic PA-150 would suit me better or would you suggest possibly getting two $200 dollar subwoofers and place one at the back of the room?

I am not opposed to a DIY solution if it isn't too expensive. I'm already over the WAF budget lol.

Thanks a lot for the insight,

Ryan

·
Registered
5,848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm6bolt  /t/1524523/newbie-help-with-sub-choice-and-room-placement#post_24536211

I did a quick setup with the sub in the front right hand corner of the room and was not very impressed. I have a horrible null where I would prefer to sit, about 12 - 13' from the front wall and centered in the room. The back of the room had decent bass but it was almost non existant in my prefered seating location.

You've answered your own question here. Unless you locate the best spot for your subwoofer sonically (initially doing the sub crawl), it doesn't matter which sub you buy. One cannot just plop down a sub in a visually preferred location and expect great sound, as you've found out. Before looking to purchase another subwoofer, find the best audible location for your current sub. Once that is done, you'll have a much better idea whether or not you need a better sub.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm6bolt  /t/1524523/newbie-help-with-sub-choice-and-room-placement#post_24536211

That should be telling you what you need to know, that your seating position is the problem. In a long room you're usually better of having the screen set up on the longer wall, not the shorter, enabling you to sit close to the wall behind you where a null is less likely to occur, while not being too far from the screen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Dayton sub I had was returned due to shipping damage but I plugged in in quickly just to hear it. Overall I wasn't too impressed even when I wasn't in the null. So I will be "upgrading" to something with some more power. I'm actually looking at the DIY kit parts express offers.

Besides that I unfortunately don't have a whole lot of seating options because my staircase comes dowsn sideways at the end of the room. I need space for people to walk behind the seats so realistically about 13' is as far back as I can have my seats. I do have the screen on the long wall. I'm assuming I will need two subs to help my non ideal seating situation. Would another sub in the back corner of the room help much?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm6bolt  /t/1524523/newbie-help-with-sub-choice-and-room-placement#post_24537282

Besides that I unfortunately don't have a whole lot of seating options because my staircase comes dowsn sideways at the end of the room. I need space for people to walk behind the seats so realistically about 13' is as far back as I can have my seats. I do have the screen on the long wall. I'm assuming I will need two subs to help my non ideal seating situation. Would another sub in the back corner of the room help much?
Probably not, since you're in the center of the room it would probably have the same refection null off the front wall. Subs to either side would probably be better, or perhaps one in the room front and one just to the rear of the seating/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts