AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have been reading all the posts on CIH setup and pros/cons of lens vs. zoom and unfortunately still very confused.

I have a 15' x 19' room that I'm planning with a 110" SI black diamond screen at 1.4 gain. I'm looking at the epson 9700UB with a fixed panamorph FX3000 lens vs. the new panasonic PT-AE7000U with zoom feature.

I'm completely loss as to watch is the best system for me. I'm mostly movie watching with mixed source of 1.78 and 2.35. Most of my stuff is on a mac media center running Plex.

thanks for all the help/input.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newHTowner /forum/post/20837553

Hi guys,

I have been reading all the posts on CIH setup and pros/cons of lens vs. zoom and unfortunately still very confused.

I have a 15' x 19' room that I'm planning with a 110" SI black diamond screen at 1.4 gain. I'm looking at the epson 9700UB with a fixed panamorph FX3000 lens vs. the new panasonic PT-AE7000U with zoom feature.

I'm completely loss as to watch is the best system for me. I'm mostly movie watching with mixed source of 1.78 and 2.35. Most of my stuff is on a mac media center running Plex.

thanks for all the help/input.

Start by using zoom method, get things going and become familiar with the process. Using the projector mentioned will work fine. You can add an A lens later without changing what you. Keep your view distance at 2-3X picture height when selecting a screen and your gtg. I've found that even below 8 ftls the picture is watchable, so you can use up to a 130-140" 2.35 screen with no gain, 1.0g. If you have a small throw, need more light or see pixel grid, then you can move to an A-Lens.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Totally agree. Go with the zoom method first. In all probability you will be thrilled with it. Just make sure you have wide top and bottom masking above and below your 2.35 screen to absorb all the overspill of the grey bars of the letterboxed image. Masking is everything with the zoom method.

If you are still not satisfied with what you are seeing, then that would be the time to consider an A-lens.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Panasonic works excellent on a 110" screen. Enough light and smoothscreen makes a lens overkill. A lense is basicly only needed when you dont get enough light because of the zoom. It can also help some projectors to mask visible pixels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.