AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got a couple of questions.

In the near future, I'm wanting to get an inexpensive surround sound at around $200-$300 or lower (Or heck, it can be 2.1, even headphones, I don't care, Just something better than my crappy TV speakers). I have a few questions.

1. I'm looking for something cheap, and somewhat loud. You see, with HDMI on my Playstation 3 with TV speakers, with game mode on, the voices are muffled and quiet (it forces me to use movie sound mode and it wont let me shut it off without turning game mode off), so I need to turn game mode off to hear them better. They sound good with it off, but the game plays a bit worse with it off, and I don't want to be at a disadvantage online. So would almost any old 5.1 HTIAB or soundbar remedy it so I can hear stuff loud (Remember, with game mode OFF, it sounds A-OK, But with game mode on it sucks) Would a HTIAB or surround sound be good enough for my needs?

2. Here's kind of a dumb one. Say, I get a HTIAB sometime soon that only hook up with optical (and component, rca whatever) and no HDMI ins. And then a PS4 or Xbox 3 comes out, and it lacks optical outs, only lets you hook it up with HDMI. Could I keep the speakers that came with the old HTIAB and just go out and buy a new reciever with HDMI ins, and the speakers with the old HTIAB would work with the new reciver, or would there be conflicts or they'd have different wiring or something?

·
Registered
109 Posts
i would go to best buy or something like that and give the "home theater in a box" sets a listen. some are very cheap...i think i saw a sony for 299 and they sound pretty good for the money. if you could swing a little over 500 i saw a sweet deal on an onkyo set at hhgreg

your speakers should work fine with a new receiver

1 - 2 of 2 Posts