AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building a new home and intend to create a home theatre in the lower level. I am considering the Sony HS51.

My question.

I need to have the electrical contractor wire a 120VAC outlet in the ceiling for the unit and I am not sure how far back I should have it mounted in relation to the screen. I have 22' to work with. I also have about 2 days to do some other prewiring for the system. Any advice on the following would be great.

Can I buy IR cabling to run to the front of the screen - all my components will be in the back of the room.

Looking at Boston Acoustics for the in wall and in ceiling speakers for the surrounds - are they worth the money? Cant hear them locally - no one has a showroom...

Is inwall the best way to go or only the most cosmetically pleasing way?

What would you recommend i run to the location by the 120v outlet other than composite, dvi and s-video.....btw where do you find 30 feet runs of this stuff??

Thanks in advance for any assistance here.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
why thank you for all the assistance....

hmmmm lets say 13 feet for the ac that seems to be a nice average number for most front projectors on a 96in screen....

hdmi/dvi, s-video and component should suffice....

in wall will not handle near the power of a quality enclosed speaker, however, they look much nicer hidden in the walls and ceilings, besided the center channel needs to be behind the screen anyway....so in the wall they go...

the Sharp XV-Z2000 might be a better alternative to the Sony due to its HD2+ offering. If you can get HD2+ performance at $4,000, is there any point to paying $10,000 to $17,000 for the boutique high-end brands that feature the same DLP chip? i think not....

again thanks for all the help.....

time to seach out another forum for the most basic of questions....

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Its hard to say where the ceiling outlet should be because it should be close to the projector. As every projector has a different throw ratio in regards to the screen size, you need to decide what screen size you will get and what screen size you will get. Once you determine those two items then you can easily figure out where to put the outlet

On the issue of Boston Acoustic, they are a pretty good brand but I have no idea how good their in wall speakers are. Just because you make good speakers doesnt mean that your inwalls are good, although typically it follows. I guess the best place to go is in the audio forum where speaker selection is all they talk about. There are many other brands you can go with in regards to inwalls, but it all depends on how much you are willing to spend

On issue of cables, you shoulld have component and dvi/hdmi. Not sure if you really need S-Video as those two should take care of everything else. The only reason to have S-Video is for a VCR or Laserdisc and to be honest, unless you have alot of S-Video tapes or Laserdiscs, there is no reason to use those two machines

Projectors. There are many projectors out there that are high end and dont street price for 10K - 17K. To best honest, except for Runco and Marantz, you can buy most of the brands out there for less 10K. I saw the new Sharp Z2000 and as far as I can tell it is an excellent projector. However, there are several other projectors out there that can be bough for either that price or somewhat higher

Finally, I like the look of speakers in the room. However, you or your wife may not like the idea of speaker, so in walls are a great way to go. I am not audio expert, but I would guess that there is a compromise when you go with them, but lately they are getting very good with them so I would assume that the more expensive versions are very competitive in the high end speakers

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Alien,

Two things. This forum is a lot busier on week days and if I were you I'd break the questions into a couple different posts. Use the other parts of the forum for each related question, you'll have better response. It's hard for people to answer all questions, so they end up answering none. Just my 2 cents.

Scott

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the response Daniel....

you are correct ... i will avoid running the S-Video....

i have a nice 5 speaker set i intend to use in my great room... at least i think their nice .... its the old eosone before polk bought them and crushed their competition.....

ramelectronics.net seems to have alot of special cables in long runs for my installation....

could the HDMI connector be any larger????

off to the speaker forums for some suggestions...

thanks again..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.