AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, got a Samsung FPT5884 for Christmas and I am loving the PQ on this TV.

I do have 1 question regarding playing blu ray movie display on this tv.

I hooked this TV via hdmi with my PS3 but when I play my blu ray movie on this TV, it still has the top and bottom black bar?? am I doing something wrong? I thought it is suppose to fill the whole screen. even at wide zoom(which I hate ) I can still see residual of the black bars.

I searched thru the forum and didn't not find any thread about this, can someone help me out?

·
Registered
545 Posts
This is 101 stuff. There are different aspect ratios on different discs. You will not be able to get rid of the black lines entirely on every disc.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Many movies are shot in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Your TV has an aspect ratio of 1.78:1. Any movie that is not shot in a 1.78:1 aspect ratio will have black bars.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike725 /forum/post/12847279

Hi all, got a Samsung FPT5884 for Christmas and I am loving the PQ on this TV.

I do have 1 question regarding playing blu ray movie display on this tv.

I hooked this TV via hdmi with my PS3 but when I play my blu ray movie on this TV, it still has the top and bottom black bar?? am I doing something wrong? I thought it is suppose to fill the whole screen. even at wide zoom(which I hate ) I can still see residual of the black bars.

I searched thru the forum and didn't not find any thread about this, can someone help me out?

How I envy you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice tv, that Sammy FP-t5884, I have one too.

It is not likely that you will be able to buy fullscreen blurays.

If you look on the back of the disc and it says 1.78:1 ratio then it will fill your television (like Ice Age 2) and if it's 2.39:1 then it will have some small black bars.

Just set your television up so that the black bars are black and not grey (ie - too bright) and you should see the black bars disappear into your field of vision when watching a Scope film.

If a movie is in 2.39:1 or 2.40:1 ratio, which most major motion pictures of the last 20 or so years are, then the black bars are your friend. You're watching what the director intended.

When you switch over to watch a television show in HD it's probably in 1.78:1 which fits your TV exactly and hence you'll see nothing but picture.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I haven't had any problem with them, and I just got this TV two weeks ago.

What happens is after the movie is over, there is some slight image retention, I run Scroll for about 5 minutes, and it goes away (under "Options" in the TV menu)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts