AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
i just looked on e-bay and found them from $70 to $250+. try contacting your local radioshack and ask for # of the district mgr for your area. ask nicely if they would assist you in finding you one. this worked for me as recently as 5 months ago and i found 4. bought one and posted pm request for anyone interested in info about other 3. had 8 pm's 1st day. all were $49 without p4 card. called d* and was sent free access card by overnite. new in box. good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a RCA UTV both tuners working never missed a recording. Never any problrms, Had to move and no longer have southern exposure.:(

Make offer

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisintx
Is there any cheap Microsoft UTV out there that can still work?
Just out of curiosity, why would you rather have an unsupported product that costs $10 a month instead of a new DirecTiVo that one can buy for $114 and only costs $5 a month?

·
Registered
17,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PVR4Me
Just out of curiosity, why would you rather have an unsupported product that costs $10 a month instead of a new DirecTiVo that one can buy for $114 and only costs $5 a month?
Because we all know UTV is the best PVR out there. It may unsupported (at least hardware-wise), but it still beats TiVo in many ways. Sure, TiVo has some features that UTV doesn't, but UTV has more of the ones that count:

1) PIP

2) The ability to watch TV and recordings while browsing menus (and actually be able to see the screen without having to look through the menu content)

3) An indicator of how much space has been used - even if it's a bit primitive, it will give you a good idea of whether the show with the delete warning is gonna dump with the next recording or if you have time to watch it later.

4) A dedicated 30 second skip - it's always there instead of getting lost after a power failure.

5) The easiest disk swap of any unit - you just have to make sure you watch your shows first. Not a huge problem for most people.

6) An available keyboard - sure the TiVo search doesn't always need it, but if you don't know the first word in a title, it helps to be able to type in what you know and hit "search."

7) Better recording management - Shows from the same series appear as one folder entry and the newest recordings are at the top.

8) No phone line required - sure Tivo doesn't "require" it, but daily or even weekly nag screens would drive me nuts if I didn't plug mine in.

9) WebTV access - I almost never use it, but it's a great backup to the DSL line (sometimes DSL craps out, but the phone still works).

10) The menus are easier to read and rely less on symbols. I find the print on the TiVo menus to be too small and I can never remember what all those symbols mean (does that symbol mean it's a suggestion, a reminder, something that's about to be deleted or some other indicator)

....and last, but certainly not least:

11) ONE BUTTON RECORDING. You're on a channel - hit record and UTV starts recording. The record button also let's you set up a recording in the guide that way: One press and it will record once, press it again and it's a series record.

UTV is well worth $10 a month. I hope to keep it until I can upgrade to HD - then I'll go for an HD TiVo. If MS got back on the UTV bandwagon and came out with an HD version I'd be there - even at the risk of them jumping ship again.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
DITTO DITTO DITTO.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV
9) WebTV access - I almost never use it, but it's a great backup to the DSL line (sometimes DSL craps out, but the phone still works).
This just happened to me. I am glad I have the UTV for backup.

Scott.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV
5) The easiest disk swap of any unit - you just have to make sure you watch your shows first. Not a huge problem for most people.
I think you're out to lunch on this one. Just ask all those people that were without their UTV's for a couple of weeks when the MS servers were down and didn't allow upgrades. While the Hinsdale sequence of upgrading a DTivo is somewhat involved, it works 100% of the time.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveNinja
does the Directivo do the on screen caller ID? i've grown to love it
No, but people are working on an hack for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.