AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... from mpeg2 from .avi from miniDV camcorder tapes (to avoid the svideo bottleneck for display on hdtv) ... or to display scanned 35mm slides on hdtv... if not hipix, another?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have a HiPix and it can definitely output 1080i; you can also get an adapter cable for DB15 (like VGA) to component connectors. But the HiPix will only output 1080i video that it's decoding from an ATSC signal, either live off-the-air (OTA) or from a recording.

It does not include support for general MPEG2 decoding, and definitely doesn't support Microsoft's .AVI format (which is a generic "container" file-format that can hold video in lots of different formats, e.g. Dixv).

I don't have any experience with DV but, since it's intended for regular TVs, it's not going to have resolution better than 480p -- and is probably just 480i.

- Tony

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
It sounds like you should use PowerStrip software

to make a Radeon VGA card output 540p or 1080i to

your HDTV.

Then you can use dScaler software to view

your movies, and something like ACDsee software

to view your stills.

You can buy a film capture device to bring

your negatives or slides into the computer

as JPGs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks tony... so the plot thickens... my hdtv only accepts y,pb,pr... does the card output this (not rgb) to the db15 connector?... (the minidv is supposed to be ~ 500x500... i'm hoping the pc to comonent video path will look better than the svideo port on the camera)

thanks pvr... is the hipix a Radeon VGA card?... does powerstrip solve tony's concern? ('But the HiPix will only output 1080i video that it's decoding from an ATSC signal, either live off-the-air (OTA) or from a recording. It does not include support for general MPEG2 decoding')...

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
The HiPix is not a VGA card. What I am saying is that

maybe your needs suggest you don't need a HiPix card.

Various VGA cards (including Radeon) can output HDTV

compatible signals. A few VGA cards can output YPrPb

but alot of people use an external signal converter box

to convert RGB to YPrPb before they hook their computer

to the HDTV display.

There are only two things a HiPix can display:

1> ATSC format HDTV live video - either live from

an antenna or playback from a file you recorded.

2> NTSC format live video - either from the broadcast

antenna or from the SVideo/RCA inputs.

(you cannot record/play NTSC with the HiPix)

You cannot use your HiPix to display scanned 35mm slides.

You cannot use your HiPix to display output from the

DV/firewire port on your camcorder. You could take the

SVideo out from your camcorder and hook it to the SVideo

input on the HiPix and use the "scaler" built into the HiPix

to view your camcorder video as 1080i HDTV (but you still

have the SVideo analog signal as part of the process).

You cannot use your HiPix to view a Windows desktop

(you need a VGA card for that).

The only application that can send any output to the HiPix

is the one bundled tuner/VCR type application that comes

with the card.

Unless you are trying to record and playback ATSC HDTV

then you probably don't need a HiPix.

A radeon card and a cheap capture card plus free dScaler

software can produce a live NTSC image (from your camcorder)

to an HDTV display that looks as good as what the HiPix

would do for you.

The (free) Powerstrip software is what lets you set

"custom timings" on the VGA card so that the signal is

compatible with your HDTV display.

Unfortunately all this stuff is not bundled in one easy to use

package with toll free customer support. You need to read

on this forum to learn about all the pieces and then go

through the trouble of downloading, installing and configuring

each piece yourself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pvr... i really appreciate the expansion... reading... listening... learning... thanks!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm still a bit confused about what the Hipix can/can't do. Lets say I have the Hipix installed with a VGA->YPrPb breakout cable attached, and I attach the YPrPb to my 1080i rptv input.

I see the Hipix card has an S-video input. Let's say I have Dish Network signal coming in, if I hook that up to the s-video input on the Hipix card, will the Hipix card upconvert that to 1080i for me for viewing on my rptv?

I also have a radeon AIW card that can output s-video. Can I take the AIW s-video output, attach that to the Hipix s-video input, and achieve the same as above? (getting 1080i signal on tv). This would let me view divx/mpgs/etc hopefully.

Would this be the same thing I could achieve with Dscaler and a VGA Transcoder (audio authority or similar)?

(I'm also receiving ATSC off an antenna, the above is just helping me decide if I should spend money on breakout cables, or if I'm still going to need a transcoder).

·
Registered
982 Posts
Quote:
I see the Hipix card has an S-video input. Let's say I have Dish Network signal coming in, if I hook that up to the s-video input on the Hipix card, will the Hipix card upconvert that to 1080i for me for viewing on my rptv?
Yes.

Quote:
I also have a radeon AIW card that can output s-video. Can I take the AIW s-video output, attach that to the Hipix s-video input, and achieve the same as above? (getting 1080i signal on tv). This would let me view divx/mpgs/etc hopefully.
Yes.

Quote:
Would this be the same thing I could achieve with Dscaler and a VGA Transcoder (audio authority or similar)?
Yes. However there may be some differences in scaling quality. You may also have issues with the Transcoder depending on your set and which transcoder you get. I recommend getting the HiPix card and see if the scaling is good enough. Also use the component out on the HiPix card with the breakout cable.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.