AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into setting up an HTPC that can do HDTV to a plasma. While researching the myHD card I noticed that on the one hand it says it can record HDTV to the hard disk and then it says it can record to a D-VHS box via firewire.

My question is: which is better? what does the D-VHS box do that the hard disk can't? pq?

Thanks,

Minthrakos

·
Registered
254 Posts
I believe the only advantage to the DVHS would be so you don't have to use your PC's hard drive to store your files. You can save them to tape instead.

There should be no difference in quality as far as I am aware.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Agreed,

Quality will be identical...

Using a D-VHS box gives you access to a low cost removable media, to some pre-recorded HD tapes, and to a device which some people find easier to use than an HTPC. On the flip side, tapes do wear and are slow, some tape decks (JVC) are not very reliable, and the cost saving is necessarily there

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't have any experience with D-VHS, but I can attest to the fact that recording to the hard drive using MyHD is quite easy & with very good quality. My wife can't tell the difference in pq between the recording & live TV; I don't think I can either. The recording does gulp down your disk space though; unless you have a DVD burner or very large-sized hard drives, you can't save too many shows.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so what size hard drive should one be talking about?

40, 60, 120?

how much space does a 1 hour hdtv program take up? how about a 1 hour sd tv program?

Thanks for the info...

Minthrakos

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
One hour of HDTV is slightly below 9 GB... SD is about half of this (or even less), depending on which application you use.

One suggestion: format you hard disk as NTFS, as otherwise file size is limited to 4GB...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.