AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Newbie in Need of Curts Help NEC 6200 Xtra

416 Views 12 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Don_Kellogg
I posted this on the UK site first I didn't know which to use. I have since hooked up a VGA connection and wow what a difference. I had convergance about 99% setup perfect on a S-video when I switch to VGA everything is really jacked is it one or the over becuase it looks like I'll have to refocus etc.. Any way see post below, thanks you in advance.

I purchased a NEC 6200 XTRA from Hammer Head Tech, unit that has only 2000 hours on the tubes, but I believe the Green Tube has burn. The reason I figure this is when I turn off red and blue I see pure Green on the edges but there is a darker square in the middle is this a correct assumption.I could not find a working link to CRT Burn in the forums

Next..

I would like to get my hands on new or rebuilt Tubes. What are the Pro's and Cons of Rebuilt? I can't seem to find them anyway I believe Hammer Head has rebuilds. Are these the correct part numbers for the NEC tubes for this unit?

Green Tube Number * 952E1641

Red Tube Number 952E1631

Blue Tube Number 952E1651

Next.

I read an article saying that 7" CRT are not going to give a great picture at 100". Now this unit is stock from factory at 100". The reason for this statement was there will not be enough Lumen per foot to give a good picture. I believe the lumen is 1000 for this unit is that true or BS? I have though about making the picture 120 or 140 because I have the room, do you recommend this.

Next...

This unit has VGA (BNC), Cox and S-Video inputs. Currently Iamb using the S-Video what is the best connection? I have Component on my AV stuff but Iamb not sure what to do. I also have may PC's should I joust use one of them to feed the signal via VGA cable?

Next..

On board fans are really loud well i think one is going bad has a light ocsolating sound. Can I replace them with a Pabst fan that's quite if it does the same or more CFM?

Next.. (sorry)

What should I get a Line doubler, quader? I've search the forums and I find mostly dead links on burn and I don't understand the line doublers etc yet.

Lastly then I'll shut up.

I have the RC-6051 remote full function, what would I need the user remote for? What does it do, other then just turn on the machine? Is there anything special about it?
See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
>> when I turn off red and blue I see pure Green on the edges but there is a darker square in the middle is this a correct assumption

Yes, this indicates that you have wear, but it might not be burn, and it might be sufficient to just do a setup where you stay within the current wear pattern. Can you take off the center lens (or all 3) and post a picture of your tube(s)?

>> I read an article saying that 7" CRT are not going to give a great picture at 100"

Unless you have really worn tubes, the Xtra is capable of a very good picture with sufficient brightness at 100" diagonal. A light-controlled room is important for any CRT, as is the screen you are using.

>> This unit has VGA (BNC), Cox and S-Video inputs. Currently Iamb using the S-Video what is the best connection?

Definitely use the BNC connectors for RGBHV. S-video will limit you to 480i.

>> I have Component on my AV stuff but I am not sure what to do.

Component devices require a "transcoder". Decent ones cost ~$300+.

>> I also have may PC's should I just use one of them to feed the signal via VGA cable?

Yes. That's called HTPC. Works very well because you can adjust various resolution settings on the video card. You'll just need a HD15->5BNC cable. Cheap ones are good enough to get started... search ebay for "VGA BNC"... they cost ~$10.

>> On board fans are really loud well i think one is going bad has a light ocsolating sound. Can I replace them with a Pabst fan that's quiet if it does the same or more CFM?

Yes. But double check voltage and I think the NECs use sensors to make sure the fans aren't bypassed.

>> What should I get a Line doubler, quader? I've search the forums and I find mostly dead links on burn and I don't understand the line doublers etc yet.

For DVD viewing, the HTPC will be sufficient/excellent until you do some more research. The Momitsu set top DVD player is also a popular choice because it scales the DVD to hidef resolutions and has analog outputs that

hook up directly to the projector without needing a transcoder.

For dead links, you probably need to replace the first part of the URL from "www..." to "archive..."

>> I have the RC-6051 remote full function, what would I need the user remote for? What does it do, other then just turn on the machine? Is there anything special about it?

No. You'll only need the full setup remote that you have. The user remote just removes the setup buttons so the typical viewer can adjust settings.

Welcome to the forum.

P.S. Post your location in your profile .
See less See more
I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I think 1000 lumen's for a 7 is kinda high. And just because it comes factory set for 100" doesn't mean that you want to run it that high for "HT". Sure it would be just fine for business presentations at 100", but HT demands much better performance.
I hooked up a RGB / BNC last night and wow (DUH) what a difference. I have about 20K tied up in pc hardware but mac and pc, I just didn't know if VGA was need for higher than 480i used to the PC VGA/DVI/ADC etc not up to spec on the issues yet.

I set the guns to 150" becuase of the distance the machine is from the wall I used the NEC guide lines for the distance from the wall to projector to the center of the screen etc. Becuase of the place it has to be mounted and the size of the room I stepped up the gun setting to be in line with the specs nec suggested.

Currently I still don't understand what is meant by look in your crts and make sure the proper are is being used. I have not played with the amplitude or anything shouldn't I be using the proper phorus at the correct distance? And if not how the hell do I tell the image is right to the edge of the guns when I look in and wow that hurts the eyes :)
Xtra has the same tubes as a G70 Jeff.

Don, you need to come a little closer than the NEC distance it is very conservative. But not too close or it'll break eventually.

Look into the lenses (turn down contrast), and see how far the image and raster are from the tube edges - they should be centred as well. Take the lenses off and look as well.

Raise the brightness to see the raster.

Download Tinman and Feather's setup guide from the Sticky on this Forum.

I have a 6200 projecting an 2120mm wide 16:9 screen, at 1280x720 at 72hz, believe me, it throws a very nice picture.
See less See more
Ok I'm stupid :) what am I looking at when I turn down the contrast? The picture of dvd playing or the cross hair test pattern? Also I under stand what Raster is on pic in regards to graphics but what is it on projects what does it look like?

I'm about 7 Inches closer then NEC spec, how do I know if I'm the proper distance? Excuss the igorance, I don't want it to "BREAK"
Mine is mounted 1.3x screen width, this is as far forward as I dared, you may wish to move back a few inches.

Use an image from a PC (or a DVD player, but get rid of that ASAP)

Turn down the contrast to 0, turn up brightness to 80-100 and look into the lenses. The raster is the area the beam scans, it is bigger than the image.
Okay I looked at the setup guide by Tinman. So I need to do a mechinical setup not just electronic is this always the case? I have prefect convergance on S-Video right now with one key exception when I go to the PHASE area the blue and red are twisted a bit is this in regards to manual setup?
I talkd with Hammer Head and they said that yes NEC does not make tubes any more but this project uses Panasonic tubes.?? I have also read it uses Toshiba any one know for sure?
It uses NEC branded, Panasonic made P16 tubes. The Green is the exact same tube as an AC XG. The Red and Blue are specific to the Xtra - still P16's, they just have a shorter neck.

I have a red tube out of a 6200 which has a Panasonic sticker with a NEC part number on it - I'd never seen that before, and it doesn't appear to have ever been changed out.
Quote:
Originally posted by Don_Kellogg
but I believe the Green Tube has burn. The reason I figure this is when I turn off red and blue I see pure Green on the edges but there is a darker square in the middle is this a correct assumption.
Do you see this on the screen or looking into the lens?
Quote:
Originally posted by Don_Kellogg
Currently I still don't understand what is meant by look in your crts and make sure the proper are is being used. I have not played with the amplitude or anything shouldn't I be using the proper phorus at the correct distance? And if not how the hell do I tell the image is right to the edge of the guns when I look in and wow that hurts the eyes :)

G'day Don ...

the picture below should give you a good indication as to the amount of phosphur area your IMAGE should occupy. The raster will extend a little past the image area and you can just make it out on the green tube.

Note that the image shown has the keystone and pincushion correction reset to zero which is why the test pattern looks square. Once aligned to your screen though, the image in the tube will have a typical keystone and pincushion look about it.

Cheers :)

Russ

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/benn...phor_Usage.jpg
See less See more
But that is a test pattern right I have not pulled the lens off yet want to know what I'm getting into first. The Green Tube when lit by it's self on an all white screen has a slightly darker square. It's not horrible but it does darken the picture in the area a little.

Is all burn in bad? I mean I'm worried I better get a tube for this puppy sonds like CRTs are on the way out. Or is that on the NECs? Are companies like Barco, and Sony still selling new units?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.