AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My parents have asked me to upgrade their home theater as their projector has died.

I have a little bit of understanding about my options and what I should consider, but not enough. I'd like to have this upgrade completed in time for the whole family to convene on their place for the holidays, so don't have time unfortunately to do a lot of reading; hence coming here looking for some pointers and recommendations.

Here's what they have now:

An old Seleco CRT front projector that's dead. The screen is a Stewart that's 100" 4:3 (which if my math is OK translates into about a 90" diagonal 16:9 image). It seems pretty white - I have no idea about the gain or anything like that, but presumably it was matched to the old CRT projector. The outlet and wires on the ceiling are about 12 feet from the screen, so the new PJ would be mounted somewhere within about a 2 foot radius of that I would guess, meaning we could have a throw distance of let's say 10-14 feet. Viewing distance would similarly be in the 10-14' range. The only wires that currently come out of the ceiling are RG6 coax and VGA.

Here's what we want: To be able to play DVDs, Blu-Ray, and satellite TV at the best resolution for our screen size and viewing distance without having to snake new wires if possible. I *think* that means that we'd need a projector with component inputs and I could use the VGA cable to carry the component signal with adapters at either end, but I don't know if that's true.

Light control is relatively poor, but the screen is about 25-30 feet from the nearest window, so it's not terrible.

Cost is not really an object, but as this projector is realistically used maybe 5 times a year, I don't think it makes sense to go for a top of the line PJ.

So to sum up:

What's the best PJ choice for putting up an HD picture from 10-14' on to a 90" screen designed for a CRT projector that can accept component (or VGA?) input?

Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would strongly recommend running an HDMI cable for a couple of reasons. The VGA cable with an adaptor would theoretically work, but at the source end you will need a full converter, not just a cable and the conversion would only get you 1080i. One other thing to consider is that starting next year, the studios have the right to disable HD output over anything but HDMI if they want to, leaving the analogue connectors limited to 480i.

With that said, if you do not want to run a new cable, I would look at the Optoma HD66 as it is a very solid 720p projector and throws out a lot of light, even when properly calibrated. Be sure your parents can view the projector somewhere first as it is a dlp projector and some people are susceptible to the rainbow effect caused by the color wheel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. I would definitely plan on running HDMI at some point, but they've got a huge family gathering of all the kids and grandchildren for Christmas so I'm trying to figure out how I can get something going with minimum effort.

It sounds like I may just be better off temporarily running HDMI across the ceiling for the holidays and having it fished through the wall later.

So I guess the other question I have is: given the limitations of the set up (unknown screen, poor light control) it sounds like the feature I should focus on above other is brightness or lamp power or something like that?

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by racekarl /forum/post/19552515

Thanks for your input. I would definitely plan on running HDMI at some point, but they've got a huge family gathering of all the kids and grandchildren for Christmas so I'm trying to figure out how I can get something going with minimum effort.

It sounds like I may just be better off temporarily running HDMI across the ceiling for the holidays and having it fished through the wall later.

So I guess the other question I have is: given the limitations of the set up (unknown screen, poor light control) it sounds like the feature I should focus on above other is brightness or lamp power or something like that?

You should look at the Epson 8350 package deals available from projector people, and visual apex, both reputable, both sponsors

of this forum... You can get the pj, screen, mount, hdmi cable, for $1500 +/- depending on the screen size you choose... The 8350 will have the lumens you need and the lens shift/zoom features will allow you to mount the screen and the projector much easier then anything else in this price range... Easy enough you will likely have time to go ahead and run the HDMI cable permanently in time for your gathering... and there will be a considerable upgrade in wow factor!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Coming from a CRT , I would strongly recommend getting the JVC HD250. It is very bright in best mode and will give you CRT like blacks. With the picture this thing throws, I'm sure it will be used more than 5 times a year

I own a JVC RS10 which is the same projector and absolutely love it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.