AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a Yamaha 863 receiver today and it's the building block for my new sound system. My previous setup was a Sony 1996 HTIB that recently found a new home at the local Goodwill.

I'll primarily be using it for viewing blu-ray discs and HD TV broadcasts, and will only listen to music a small portion of the time. When I do listen to music I like a pretty big mix of things, but alternative, ska, jazz, normal everyday radio pop, classic rock, some R&B, etc. (like I said pretty big mix...lol)

The room that it will be going in is kind of odd. It's a duplex with pretty small rooms. It's probably 10x18 or there abouts. The TV is setup 45 degree's in a corner and my couch and loveseat is at 90's to the walls that the TV 45's off of. I would have preferred having it flat against one of the walls, but you would have only been able to see it from one piece of furniture that way.

I'm not going to go so far as 5.1 or 7.1 right now. Just want to get a solid pair of floor standing fronts, a sub, and possible a center. (I really want a center, but I'm not sure how to mount it at a 45 with the TV.) My TV is a 60 Sony SXRD (aka dlp) and takes up the whole stand I'm using.

The only thing I've listened to are Klipsch RF and RC 52's and 62's. I obviously liked the 62's much better. The 52's were two dead sounding...if that makes sense. The 62's were punchier and had a more full bodied sound.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. I really have no experience in this area so am really relying on your advice.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
3,637 Posts
A budget would be great! It helps us all give you suggestions.

I would go out and listen to as much as you can. Klipsch make some great speakers but they sound very unique. Some love them, some don't.

Listen to Definitive Technology, Paradigm, Monitor Audio, Totem, Infinity, Polk, B&W, Energy, Vienna Acoustics, Mirage, etc. Everything you can find in your budget. Go to every local A/V shop you can find.

Most important. Bring your own Demo material and a pad and paper to take notes on the models and what you like/dislike about each one. You will not find a perfect speaker but you can get pretty damn close.

After you get a good idea of what you like you could try internet direct. Once you have an idea of what you are looking for people here can direct you to speakers online that may suit you. Some members here are open to demos at their house if they live close.

I posted in your AVR thread and the 863 is the way to go over the 665. Find yourself some speakers! Good luck. Keep us updated on progress.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comments. I am aiming for between 1000 and 1500 for both fronts, a center and a sub. That will keep me under the 2k mark for putting it all together which isn't too bad. My biggest issue will be that I live in the middle of no where. The closest towns are over an hour away and they aren't too big. (Paducah KY or Jackson TN) I'm sure they have some specialty stereo stores that will carry some selection, but my guess is there is around one or two per town maybe. One of my interns is in a band and has a bunch of audio equipment so he may know of some spots. *(I'm new to the area and don't know much about it yet)

· Registered
3,995 Posts
That's a pretty decent budget, but as you said, it's gonna be difficult to get out and audition....but that's OK as most auditions are pretty useless unless the room is similiar to yours in shape, placement and room surfaces. Your setup is a little difficult, but the smart move for the center channel is mounted above the TV, tilted down towards the listener. There's specialized stands just for this purpose like this one.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=OMCCH1

As for the up front three, there's no better deal on the net or in stores right now than the Energy RC70 towers at Vanns.com for $1k per pair free shipping

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...51/energy-rc70

What makes these so special in your case is the Bass extension....down to the mid 20hz range in room. That's beyond budget sub extension....so no need for a sub now....add one later when the budget allows that can actually keep up with the system mains. Also the sensitivity is outstanding at 92db, meaning your Yamaha AVR will be able to drive them to dynamic levels without a problem.....something very important and not to be overlooked.

AS for center channels, the Energy RC-LCR is the perfect match at $299 from Vanns but they sold out for now, you'll have to wait a week or so to get em at that price.....they can be found for $649 elsewhere.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...key_id=4325561

Hope this helps

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it looks like I screwed up and the RC70's are out of stock and they won't be stocking any more at that price break. I waited a day to long it looks like. I'm pretty depressed about it. Anyone have any other good suggestions that are great deals? I'm ready to heat this debit card up with some transactions...lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.