AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi All,

My dad and I were cleaning out his attic and found two sets of nice speakers in mint condition. I moved them into my own apartment but need some advice on a receiver to power them. The ones I've unboxed already are Advent the Baby II, medium sized speakers that are rated at 50w RMS, 150w peak. The others are large JBLs from the early '80s, I don't have the model number unfortunately but dad said they cost him an arm and a leg back in the day. All I need from the receiver is to power a pair (maybe all four) of these speakers nicely, have a built in tuner, and a stereo 1/4" or mini input for my iPod. 

I am a college student and don't have much money to spend. Also, I know nothing about receivers. I was hoping you could help answer a few general questions:

1. I'm aiming to spend around $50 (MAX is $100). Am I better off buying a cheepo new product from a no name brand like PYLE AUDIO or should I surf through ebay/craigslist to find a used name brand? 

2. What features and specs should I be looking for? Watts, RMS, Impedance, these things mean very little to me right now. If I decide to go the ebay route, what should be the determining factors?

3. I don't imagine I'll bother setting up a surround sound environment, does that mean I should look only for a stereo receiver and not a 5.1? If I plug in four speakers to a stereo am missing out on a lot?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you only want to spend $50-100, I think your best bet is the used route. Brand name older stuff can go for pretty cheap on ebay or craigslist. I'd avoid the no name brands

Don't worry about specs such as watts, impedance, etc. Just make sure the receiver has the features you want.

If you want to hook up 4 speakers, your best bet is a 5.1 receiver. However, if all you'll be doing is listening to your ipod or the tuner, a stereo setup may be better. You could pick your favorite of the two pairs of speakers to run, and store the others.

If you do ebay, I would make sure the seller has a return policy.

·
Registered
29,065 Posts
You can probably find a nice used receiver for $100 if you check your local Craigslist.

if you want something new the Sherwood RX-4109 should meet you needs. It can power 2 pairs of speakers, has a tuner with 30 presets, a phono input if you have a turntable and a remote control with bass and treble buttons on the remote.

http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-RX-4109-Stereo-Receiver-Black/dp/B000MBUSD6/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

There is also the RX-4105 if you dont care about the phono input or bass/treble controls on the remote.
http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-RX-4105-Stereo-Receiver-Black/dp/B0002EPWC0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

1 - 4 of 4 Posts