AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am in the middle of constructing a 16x23 media room. I have never owned a projector before (only Direct view TVs). I have narrowed my projector list to the Sharp XV-Z9000U and the Marantz VP-12S1. I loved the picture on the Sharp and I haven't seen the Marantz yet. Hence the delay in picking one. Either way it will be a 96 inch gray hawk fixed screen.

My question is how easy/hard is it to install either of these projectors by myself? I am pretty handy guy. I have run speaker cables by myself. I have even networked my house for 100Mbps ethernet. Are there any resources/guidelines/instructions to hang and calibrate projectors and fixed screens.

Are there any installers out there is the Seattle area who will install projector that haven't been purchased through them? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
-- Go for it, it sounds as if you are handy enough. It is all pretty much common sense. You don't have to be Tim the Toolman..

-- You will have to :

1. Pull some video cables into place (no tougher than speaker wire, just a bit thicker). (search for the thread here on using shielded CAT5 wire for VGA cable)

2. Figure out power to the PJ

3. A fixed screen is like a bit picture frame, not tough at all.

4. Figure out the mounting of your PJ - simple trig to figure out the Vertical & Horizontal position based on your screen location. Most mfgs. have calculators or spreadsheets for this. Zoom lenses help with the fine tuning.

5. 'Calibration' should be about as hard as setting up a PC monitor - even if more is needed, you can hire that done afterwards.

I mounted my own CRT PJ, including power and cables - not hard at all - and I'm a software guy...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.