Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie and I currently have the following setup :

JVC XV-SA72 p.scan component output to AE-100 to watch DVD.

PS2 s-video out to AE-100 for game play.

Those are the 2 main tasks I usually do.

So, if I add a iScan Pro, will the visual drastically improve?

$629 for a iScan Pro is quite expensive for me, so if the visual will just be 10-20% improve, I think I will live with what I have now.

What about the keydigital transcoder, it's cheaper. Will it do the same job?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Forget it.

Better to spend $200-300 on a progressive component to RGB transcoder (Audio Authority or Key Digital) to improve your DVD image by 20% than Iscan Pro. Iscan Pro offers component input and allow image controls (scaling and color manipulation), but still requires an interlace signal to work. Iscan won't improve your DVD much as it merely takes an interlaced signals and doubles it to progressive which you already have. It may improve your PS2 by 10-20% although PS2 has graphics limitation (Xbox and Gamecube are much better). Even Dreamcast 's $15 VGA box will look better than PS2 on PJ as it also doubles the scan signals. AE100 has fairly decent video processor so if you're happy with image then don't bother.

Viewsonic VB50HRTV with IR remote for $99 has 848X480 resolution mode whcih matches AE100 precisely, and will act as a cheap doubler/scaler/TV tuner for your TV, VHS, and PS2. It has Svideo, composite, and VGA input (for PC passthrough). Iscan does not scale only doubles the signals so your AE100 still has to scale 720X480 (DVD) or 640X480 (PS2) to 856X480 (AE100 native resolution).

The reason that a Component->VGA transcoder will improve AE100 is it allows you to use the AE100's wide-VGA mode which is better than its normal component mode (better sharpness due to better scaling). Even here I doubt that the improvement is over 20%.

The main improvement for DVD can be had by using an HTPC (Home Theater PC) for the best progressive DVD playback with digital sounds provided you have a SPDIF capable sound card, DD/DTS receiver, and DVD playback software (WinDVD, PowerDVD, Cineplayer, etc.) This is because you bypass the AE100 video processor altogether (must specify resolution using Powerstrip on HTPC to be 848X480 or 856X480). This will give you the best DVD image over any sub-3K scalers. As a matter of fact most of the over 3K scalers are Geforc/PC based. HTPC potentially can beat these as you can fit it with the Radeons which has better overlay than the Geforce cards. Obviously the scalers will be easier to use than HTPC, but if you are PC oriented, HTPC may be the most cost-effective upgrade as it offers not only video processing, but PC games and other big-screen computing chores (web-surfing is fun at 8 foot wide).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks Huey and Digital Buzz. I guess I will live with what I have now and be a happy man. Thanks again Huey for your in depth explanation, I understand the AE100 much more now.

·
Registered
923 Posts
The VB50 is actually pretty good, and its excellent under certain circumstances, but it did fall quite short of the IOMagic PC PVR/DScaler combo on my PC for all of my purposes (console games and interlaced DVD). DScaler gives you so much control and so many options that you can usually find a suitable solution for almost any problem. Of course it demands a PC set up for the purpose and for video gaming espeically, will require some serious CPU power (a gig or so should be enough, for now). The iScan has the advantage of being plug and play with very little fuss, but won't give you quite the same quality as the dedicated HTPC that I could build you for about the same price.

I sincerely hope that knowing the potential costs in $$$ and aggrivation for that last 5%-10% of quality will let you be happy. I know that I've allowed the search for that very marginal last bit of quality drag me down a time or two, and really, enjoying your rig in motion (playing or watching) is really what its for.

Enjoy,

Kensai

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
>>> your AE100 still has to scale 720X480 (DVD) or 640X480 (PS2) to 856X480 (AE100 native resolution).

The AE100 doesn't have to do anything to accomplish this scaling. The 720 x 480 directly from the progressive DVD player and the 640 x 480 from the PS2 will go into the AE100 equally well and the horizontal pixel count will scale itself all by itself.

Scaling has to be proactively done only when the number of scan lines (pixels vertically) is different.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.