AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently running a hodgepodge system of things I got a good deal on. To my ears the center is the weakest link. I'm always adjusting the center volume. I can't decide if I should try to match the mains with a Pioneer SP-C21 or C22, or just get the best center I can afford and upgrade the mains to match the center later. Not even sure how important matching the manufacturer/model of the L-C-R speakers is. Here's my current setup:

AVR-Sherwood Newcastle R-872

Mains-Pioneer SP-BS41LR

Center-AudioSource VS-4

Surrounds-Polk OWM3

Sub- Mitsubishi M-SUB12

Currently I'm considering some locally available used possibilities for a new center:

Pioneer Sp-c22

Definitive C1

PSB Alpha Center

Phase Technology PC II Center

Anyone have some advice on the best way forward?

·
Registered
589 Posts
The general recommendation is to match the front 3. If it were me, I'd consider how much later the upgrade might be. A few months? Then set a new direction. Somewhat longer, timeframe TBD? I'd get the Pioneer now and upgrade all three later. You don't want to be disappointed with a mis-matched front and have no way out of it...

You also should consider your total budget, which will tell you whether you are in Pioneer territory anyway, or could be shooting for something more expensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

thanks for the advice tdallen!  I took it, and bought the SP-C22.  I'll report back and let you know how it works out. 

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Me to...if I can figure out where to put it...the TV stand fits perfectly on the center I'm using now.  The pioneer center is smaller and has a curved cabinet, so I can't just drop the TV on top of it like I do now.  Going to have to get creative I guess.

·
Registered
6,942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjesse  /t/1514181/newbie-looking-for-an-up...ker-in-5-1-ht-system-and-advice#post_24277848

Me to...if I can figure out where to put it...the TV stand fits perfectly on the center I'm using now.  The pioneer center is smaller and has a curved cabinet, so I can't just drop the TV on top of it like I do now.  Going to have to get creative I guess.

Maybe build a stand to go around the center and create a bigger base for the TV. You could grab a sheet of MDF or plywood and some L brackets and then paint/stain to match your decor. I would wager they sell these somewhere already, but DIY is usually cheaper. You could also wall-mount the TV, www.monoprice.com sells some great wall-mounts and they are like $20.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Good ideas...wall mounts are cheaper than I thought they'd be.  Prolly go that direction.  I'll post a pic and review of the final product..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts