AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I'm new here & have looked around a lot @ similar threads but none seem to fit me exactly so @ the risk annoying some of you here goes.

I need a new sub I have been looking @ used Sunfire & Def tec on ebay because of the very high power & small size. I have not seen anything here on either of these subs so if any of you would recommend something else please let me know.

1. I would like to stay as close to $500 as I can.

2. I have an Elite VSX-90TXV receiver on the way.

3. The room is 24x12x8

4. The sub can't be taller than 14"

5. It would be used for 60% HT & 40% music

6. I would like to knock most of the pictures off of the wall

any help would be greatly appreciated because my sub is blown!

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Small size, low price, high output. Ain't gunna happin'. Why only 14" tall?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the 14" is because it will going under my existing home entertainment center.

Not enough room for anything bigger right now.

Well if that ain't gunna happen what would be a good compromise?

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjacks /forum/post/14223395

the 14" is because it will going under my existing home entertainment center.

Not enough room for anything bigger right now.

Well if that ain't gunna happen what would be a good compromise?

You have to surrender one of your criteria. The one that will yield the most options is size. There may be something that can be laid on it's side like one of the smaller HSU subs. But you're still not going to get shake-the-foundation output. You could look for a used SVS SB12+. If you can find one for $500, that would give you size and price. Still, 14" high will be tough.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The eD A3-250 has a width of 13.75", call up eD and see if it would be ok to lay it on its side. It's only $375 w/free shipping, so well within the budget.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If you are placing it in your home entertainment center, youmight have to go with front port firing subs...

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think your going to be disappointed with the sub's performance, for two reasons. First, the 14" height limitation is going to require that you buy a pretty small sub for that relatively large room. Second, installing the sub inside the entertainment center is going to restrict the air space around the sub, essentially dampening the top/back/right/left emissions from the sub. A front-port firing unit is almost required in this situation, and then ... a 14" tall/wide unit is going to come up short.

I'd consider a larger box, and set it next to the entertainment center, or across the room.

Greg

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
To further explore hammong's suggestion, can you find other placement options for the sub? There's no rule that the sub has to be up front. You can place it on the side wall or the back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Although the sub would be in the entertainment center which has doors the back of the E center is open with about a foot of space.

I never thought about putting the sub somewhere else in the room I just thought the sub had to be near the front stage.

If I were to place the sub else where it would open up a lot more options.

The W.A.F might be a prob though.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
WAF can depend on the finish you get. Some subs have furniture grade finishes. Some people, if everything is just right, will put the sub under an end table. With larger subs, some will even use it as an end table. I have mine behind my couch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts