Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

After lurking for months, I figure it's time for my first post. I'm in the 1st phase of assembling a basement HT (2 1/2 walls cinder blocks & 1 1/2 paneling - complete light control just 1 small, easily covered window ). So far all I have are front speakers (Axiom M60ti), I'm adding a piece at a time as I'm on a budget.

To get an idea of how large a screen I'd like, I picked up a sheet of the Parkland polywall & like the way it looks & may just go with it as the actual screen (a little under 100 inch diagonal). It will either be a floor or table mount as we have a drop ceiling & it would probably hang too low below it. It's also about 17ft from back wall to screen. I've been following this forum & the under 3500 digi forum & am leaning toward a used CRT (I am receiving Curt's list so far) - the digital issues have me a little scared off (rainbows on DLP - FPN & screen door on LCD) & thinking it's not quite "their time" yet. A little concerned about the size, set up & connectivity for CRT...

My uses for the projector will be (in order): weekly DVD movie night (Anime & action movies mainly), Xbox & GameCube, future HDTV (mainly for sports), computer uses. I'd like it to be "future proof" as well, as much as anything can be ;) .

I'm looking to keep my budget at or around a grand - the 2 that have my eye at this moment are the Sony 1272 & the Barco BG 800 (possibly an Ehome Marquee 8-8500 if one can be had for that price) - any recommendations?? How do these 2 (3) stack up head to head? Any others I should consider in that price range?

I am also going to need some help setting it up, anyone out there in the Green Bay, WI area willing to help a newbie out & maybe demo their setup to help me make my mind up? Thinking about taking a drive up near Wausau to check out "that guy on E bay" (leaving the checkbook & cards at home) to see some set ups too... Though maybe he can swing a deal for an instate guy ;) .

Any other things to consider? Thanks for any replies,

Mike in GB

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mike,

You are doing the right thing. I lurked here for almost 6 months learning and observing before I bought a PJ. I ended up with an 8500. If you search this forum you will find both Curt Palme, Tim Martin, and other excellent folks. They are both very knowledgeable and friendly. In the early days for me I also had a lot of contact with Projection Systems in Weston Wi., in fact I bought my ceiling mount from them, they were very helpful. One month before I discovered this forum and many other great members that I did not mention above, I had placed a bid on Ebay for a digital DLP PJ. Thank God the seller simply went AWOL and the rest is history. Good Luck.

briian

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi.

You're not that far from PSI (*********.com) in Wausau. Hop on 29 west and check them out - they have many projectors setup to show you. I know some people have had some problems with Eric, but I bought mine there and have been very pleased with the follow up service.

Kris

(Waukesha)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Mike,

You can e-mail me at [email protected] .

Before going to PSi to check out specific models, I'd give them a call so they can have them setup when you get there. You can get their number off their website .

I had a SONY 1272 for a few years so I can give you some advice on setup, etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MMcDermott
My uses for the projector will be (in order): weekly DVD movie night (Anime & action movies mainly), Xbox & GameCube, future HDTV (mainly for sports), computer uses. I'd like it to be "future proof" as well, as much as anything can be ;) .
Weekly movie night is the best fun i've had since i build my HT, i highly recommend it!

Then we kinda run into a problem.

CRT projectors have a "thing" against static images (energy bars, score counters that kind of thing), so i wouldn't recommend Xbox & Gamecube use. Also with HDTV be aware of the bugs in the image (network logos et all).

To get an idea of Burn-in take a look at this page.

I'm wresteling with this problem myself, and i think i'll just get a projecting pizza box on the side before Gran Turismo 4 is released :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kpfeif
Hi.

You're not that far from PSI (*********.com) in Wausau. Hop on 29 west and check them out - they have many projectors setup to show you. I know some people have had some problems with Eric, but I bought mine there and have been very pleased with the follow up service.

Kris

(Waukesha)
Thanks for the reply Kris, PSI is who I was talking about when I said this

"Thinking about taking a drive up near Wausau to check out "that guy on E bay" (leaving the checkbook & cards at home) to see some set ups too... Though maybe he can swing a deal for an instate guy "

Haven't gotten there yet, but I plan on visiting some relatives in the UP this or next month & it's on the way.

Mike

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Willie
Mike

email me at [email protected]

Willie
Hey Willie, I sent you an e-mail. Please post a reply here if you send me an e-mail back (or PM me) - I've been having some problems with receiving e-mail the last couple days. It's oddly selective, I'm not getting some of my digests from yahoogroups (that I actually want) & Curt Palme's mailings but no problem getting my "necessary" deluge of presciption drug, male enhancement, make a fortune off of e bay & "teen farm" (??!?!?) mail... :rolleyes:

Mike

·
Registered
110 Posts
I purchased from Eric about three years ago (Sony 1272). Extremely pleased with the transaction. I traveled from Illinois to see him, he opened on a Sunday for me, and gave me a great trade on a previous (1271) unit I bought from him. Also got a line doubler and screen, again discounted. Well worth the trip. Haven't had much contact since, as the unit has been flawless. There was an IR pice that was broken, and he sent one to me no charge.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Willie,

Is that NEC on E b a y your's?? Think it's something I'd be interested in? I've seen a lot of posts on here stating that NEC's are a real pain to set up, think it'd be too much for a noob??

Mike in GB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.