AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really like some input from you guys on what surround speakers I should be looking at. I'm currently running a cheap and fairly old set up.

Current set up: Kenwood VR357 receiver

Polk Audio RM6000BD 5.1 speakers (small sat. speakers)

The Polks were purchased in a set with the sub. (8" 50W)

When I first began shopping, I thought Circuit City or Best Buy was where I needed to go. But after many hours on the internet, I'm finding the best reviews are on the internet only stores. So, I THINK I have decided on the new receiver and sub, but I still don't know where to start on the rest of the speakers. Funds are somewhat limited, so I will possibly buy in increments. Probably the sub first, then the center channel, then the fronts, and then the rears.

So what I have come up with so far. Denon SVR-1909 receiver, and on the Sub, either the HSU VTF-2 MK 3, HSU VTF-1, or the ED A3-300. These three subs seem to get the best reviews for the money so far.

So any ideas on the remaining speakers? Again, I thought the brick and mortar stores had the best of everything. I really liked the Polk subs from Circuit city until I did some online research where everyone seems to bash Polks. So does that line of thinking go for the remaining surround speakers as well, or would they go just fine with one of those subs?

By the way. My room size is 21'x13'x8' with 3 different open door ways around the room. I have a shelf over the TV where I can set the front speakers and center, but my rears need to be wall mounted on the two back side walls. As for budget, I'm really not sure. I guess I need to stay in line price wise with the Denon receiver and one of the three subs I'm looking at. Did I leave anything out? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
It's tough to make a suggestion without a budget, but I recently picked up the Hsu VTF2-MK3, matched with the Onkyo 805 and the Ascend Sierra 1 LCRs. I am quite pleased, especially for the money.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/15446499

sorry the links don't work now, Newegg must have changed the site around. Just go to www.newegg.com and search for "polk monitor", and then "polk center" for the center channel. They are still listed 1/3/09, but obviously selling out fast

All your links have periods in them where there should be info. You can see this by mouseover vs. what shows in your post and then compare to mine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tor+50&x=0&y=0

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it looks like the only Monitor 50's that it shows are floor standing speakers. But I need bookshelf speakers. I noticed the Monitor 30's are bookshelf. How do they compare to the 50's?

·
Banned
724 Posts
I own the Hsu vtf-1 Sub Woofer.

I have to say it does have excellent performance.

The bass volume on woofer is a bit touchy. But,when watching action movies with this sub woofer I promise you,that you won't go home disappointed.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.