AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New to the forum and the sound systems as well. I am in need of a 5.1 surround system. Here are my requirements.

The room is not big and probably 12ft.Budget 500$. I was going through some google search and found few results

Energy Take Classic Subwoofer/Satellite System
Pioneer SP-PK21BS Subwoofer/Satellite System

Not sure if these are pretty old and there is a better replacement for this. Also should I go for individual speakers and a receiver. Also what receivers would be a better fit?

Also I am willing to slowly expand the system instead of buying all at once if it can be done.

If there is any existing thread discussing the same, please let me know.

Thank You

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would suggest setting up a 3.0 system by getting separates. You will get a much better system this way. Reciever wise look at accessories4less refurb units. Speaker wise I would look at the Andrew Jones designed pioneer speakers (newer version of the ones you listed). Later down the line I would look at svs/rhythmik/hsu for a sub. You will get allot better sound for the money going with separates. The front 3 speakers should be from the same manufacturing line the surrounds can be different. I have a denon avr e300 and love it. Others will chime in on this soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks. Looked into the speakers you mentioned. If I understand properly, you are suggesting me to buy 3 of those speakers and then a sub.

But those speakers don't come in a box. How should I fit them? Should I buy a box separately and then fit them into it?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Not sure what you're referencing when you say "those speakers don't come in a box"? PS3forlife was talking about these:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-FS52-LR-Designed-standing-Loudspeaker/dp/B008NCD2S4

Another manufacturer to consider is RBH/EMP Tek. I have a pair of these and really like them:
http://emptek.com/r5bi.php
(a third could be used as a center channel, or http://emptek.com/r5ci.php)
Andrew Robinson's review: http://hometheaterreview.com/emp-tek-e5bi-bookshelf-speaker-reviewed/

The "subs" in the systems you mentioned won't have much impact and you would be better going with the 2 or 3.0 setup for starters as PS3forlife mentioned, then saving for a sub, center and surrounds.

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
Also I am willing to slowly expand the system instead of buying all at once if it can be done.
On of the best deals around right now - on sale, and I much prefer
them over the phase (2) Pioneer and Energy.

Sony Core bookshelf
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-co...lack/5721014.p?id=1219148662428&skuId=5721014

Sony center channel
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-co...lack/5720006.p?id=1219148662291&skuId=5720006

Then Look at the Dayton subs at Parts Express

Save up for surround speakers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, my search returned me different ones which looked more like a car audio.

Okay, If I am understanding you guys properly, you guys are suggesting me to buy 2 / 3 speakers as suggested by @PS3forlife and then slowly invest on the remaining.

Will there be any difference between bookshelf / floorstanding speakers? Also do I need any receivers for these speakers?

Thank You

·
Registered
19,541 Posts

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I agree with the rest of the folks here. In general, stay away from 5.1 integrated systems in a box. Start out with the two front speakers first (obviously, you'll need an AVR and the one Zieg mentioned should fit your needs nicely). If you choose the Andrew Jones Pioneers from Amazon, you can test them out to see how you like them. If unhappy you send them back and Amazon will reimburse you. If you choose the Sony Core bookshelf speakers, check on the cost of return shipping should you not like them (Amazon also sells them). Same for the EMP Tek R5Bi's (they will cost around $25 to return them). And never keep a speaker that you aren't extremely happy with. You have 30 days to test them before you need to send them back, so use that time to critique them.

Your next purchase, which should be made at the same time or right after you have set up your speakers, is a subwoofer. The Dayton SUB-1200 is one of the better budget subwoofers available at that price. They will take a good sounding speaker and make them sound very good! I agree with PS3forlife that the upper echelon subs are from I.D. companies, but are out of your budget range.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629

Jim Wilson's review: http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...6-dayton-audio-sub-1200-subwoofer-review.html

Now, once funds become available, buy a center channel speaker and then the surrounds. Of course, part of your budget will be needed for speaker stands or mounting brackets, cabling and speaker wire (check Amazon).

Note: I have not auditioned the Pioneers or Sony Core speakers, but many people really like them. If I would hazard a guess of what I "might" like better between the two, it would probably be the Sony Core. I do own the EMP Teks, and while I highly recommend them, it is up to your own ears to determine what YOU like. It doesn't matter what I like. You should also go out to an audio store or two and listen to different bookshelf speakers that are within your budget. And finally, don't be in a rush. If you purchase carefully, you'll have many years of enjoyment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. This helps definitely. I will revisit after my initial purchase and set up.

Also I found this forum very useful unlike other forums where every newbie question is met with sarcasm.

Kudos to you guys.

·
Premium Member
8,029 Posts
Sorry, my search returned me different ones which looked more like a car audio.

Okay, If I am understanding you guys properly, you guys are suggesting me to buy 2 / 3 speakers as suggested by @PS3forlife and then slowly invest on the remaining.

Will there be any difference between bookshelf / floorstanding speakers? Also do I need any receivers for these speakers?

Thank You

In all honesty, bookshelf with a sub is just fine.
I am a towers person and you only get a slight advantage with towers.
Not enough to warrant the price difference for most folks.

Thanks guys. This helps definitely. I will revisit after my initial purchase and set up.

Also I found this forum very useful unlike other forums where every newbie question is met with sarcasm.

Kudos to you guys.

Welcome to AVS forums.

As you saw, when a question is legit, people like to help with their knowledge.
The previous members gave you some good choices to look at.

I will just add another vote to start with 2 or 3 front and work on the rest as money come available.
It is not a race, take your time and to it once.

Good Luck in your search.

Ray

·
Registered
2,848 Posts

Kudos to you guys.
As Ray mentioned, legitimate, well posed questions will lead to many thoughtful responses around here.

That is not to say that sarcasm won't follow, regardless of how the question is presented. We're human after all... ;):)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Answering a valid question is no problem for anyone around here. I don't know why I didn't suggest the Dayton sub. Parts express stocks and most of the time has em at a discount rate. Make sure to look for a online discount code as well.

Reactions: darthray

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As Ray mentioned, legitimate, well posed questions will lead to many thoughtful responses around here.

That is not to say that sarcasm won't follow, regardless of how the question is presented. We're human after all... ;):)
I do agree sarcasm is healthy :) but not for a confused guy ;)

Thanks guys for all the wonderful suggestions.

·
Registered
820 Posts
BIC-F12 isnt a bad starter sub on a budget either. Also don't rule out buying a used sub or speakers if you shop carefully. Check ebay and even in the classifieds here on the forum. You'll often times get stuff in like new condition for a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Yep, you can learn from people's mistakes...like me, who went through a series of cheap subs (Martin Logan Dynamo, Klipsch Synergy, Klipsch Rw12D) before finally get two pretty good ones (Emp10i10i and Outlaw LFM1 plus).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts