Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am new to HT and I just finished hooking up all the wires and cables. I have a few questions, on my pioneer vsx-54tx receiver I did the auto surround setting and it sets all the speakers to "Large", I read thought a lot of posts on here and other related HT forum and many of them saids that if you're using the system mainy for movies (which I am! 90% movie 10% music) then set the speaker setting at "small"... Is this true? Also, I have similar setting option on my pioneer DV-45A DVD player, do I need to set that to "small" too? Last question, my sub... there are 2 knobs, what is it for? Can anyone suggest me on setting of those 2 knobs too? Thank you!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Gordon,

Yes, the speakers should be set to small if you have a sub. What that does is roll the bass frequencies out of the main speakers and sends them to the sub.

As far as the knobs on the sub, one is probably for the crossover frequency, and probably has numbers like “40Hz, 75Hz, 100Hz,†etc. Set it for the highest number.

The other knob is for the sub’s level (loudness). You can adjust that to taste. Put on a CD you’re familiar with and slowly turn up the knob until bass comes in and blends well with the main speakers. That setting will be good most of the time with music; however, people often like the sub a little louder for movies.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hmmm, what kind of speakers do you have that it would find them all large? Generally, for HT with a sub, small would be preferable with the crossover set at 80hz. DVD player should be set the same.

On your sub, I'd guess that one knob is for gain (volume) and the other sets the crossover point.

Mort

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.