AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this game and I am setting up my new basement with a Sony 50" GWII XBR 800 and need to augment the surround sound of the TV and for occasional music play

I would like a decent sound - Receiver and speaker system - but do not need to shake the walls, floor or woo the neighbors. I don't want too much power since I have 2 teens in the house ... I need some sleep when I go to bed and they are lurking ...hehe

I read some of the previous posts, mostly high end stuff, over my head...

The room I have is about 14' wide by 24' long max

Thanks for your suggestions .... Phil :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just came across this review on CNET.com: 300$ speaker system rated 9 out of 10 !!

http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...ir.productinfo

Onkyo SKS-HT500 system:

"While most entry-level packages are built around tiny sats and laughably small subwoofers, the HT500 sports rather formidable components. The speakers have a simple if bulky look, with an attractive, black-oak, vinyl-veneer finish and contoured grilles that add a touch of class. The main left/right speakers stand 16.5 inches tall and have dual 5.25-inch woofers and a 1-inch dome tweeter. The more average-sized center speaker comes in at 15.25 inches wide and features a woofer/tweeter/woofer array (two 4-inch woofers and a 1-inch tweeter). The surround speakers, which use a pair of the same drivers found in the center speaker, are the smallest of the bunch at just 8.5 inches high.

Though the center and surround speakers have keyhole mounts, wall-mounting them will restrict airflow from the rear ports; these speakers will sound best with a little breathing room behind them. Rated at an easy-to-drive, 8-ohm impedance, the mighty HT500 ensemble won't tax low-powered receivers.

The subwoofer weighs an impressive 29 pounds and incorporates a downward-firing, 8-inch woofer and a 150-watt amplifier. Connectivity options are limited to just one line-level input. Therefore, this Onkyo must be coupled with a receiver that has a line-level subwoofer output (most A/V receivers are so equipped)."

Sounds Decent...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.