AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
This looks like a very well supported Audio forum with lots of knowledge and thank you for having me.

I have a budget system and this might be more of a PC thread but since new to forum not sure where to post..... So without further delay,...Here we go

The Problem.....
No PC HDMI audio.... None what so ever when playing Netflix, MP3,s DVD's etc through PC.

Equipment
Monitor - Sharp LC46LE700UN connected via HDMI cable to Sony AVR
AVR - Sony STR-DH830 - 3 HDMI devices connected. TV, PC, Blue Ray, Comcast
PC - Windows 8 home built - AS-ROCK all in one budget box (Intel chip set with intel HD Graphics) Unit is connected via HDMI to DH830 to Video 2
Logitech POS smart remote

Further info.
The PC Used to play when connected directly to the Sharp TV which used to pass audio via optical cable.
The change you ask????
I swapped out previous and fauly Onkyo AVR with a new to me hand me down Sony DH830 that has 5 HDMI ports... 7.1 audio

Here is what I tried thus far
I set the Sony AVAmp as default communication playback device device in windows 8
Updated the audio drivers... I think.....
Tried three different HDMI cables
Enabled HDMI in the DH-830 GUI Set up screen ( Tried it several different ways while in their as well).
And lastly threw my iPad trying to configure my new Logitech Harmony Smart Control.... Just kidding. Thats another story.
The PC audio mixer shows two play back devices. Sony AVAmp, and VIA speakers. (That one puzzles me as the board is all intell). Any way the sound gui bar shows sound movement from the VIA speakers only with no sound being passed through the HDMI.
Help and and ideas always very welcomed here in Atlanta.
Kevin

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Does the PC still play audio via HDMI to the TV when TV optical is connected to the new Sony AVR? (Like the old setup?)

In the old configuration when the PC was connected to the TV, the PC may have been configuring to 2 channel output as the TV is a 2 channel device. Now that you are connecting the PC to a 5.1 capable AVR, the HDMI audio may be configuring differently. This shouldn't be an issue, but is there a way to force the PC HDMI sound to different configurations like "PCM"?

Reactions: beech2000

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for your reply.
I connected the PC back to my Sharp TV this morning and yes the sound is back. So you are correct. I am however hoping that a solution to connecting to the Sony AVR is possible as setting up the Logitech Smart Control will be easier. Since then I tried forcing a different Microsoft Driver and now have the windows volume bar showing movement but no sound from AVR. So seems like Windows issue to me. I will try messing around more with the drivers.
Does HDMI pass through use the video card driver or the on mother board VIA sound chipset?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
None of my PCs use HDMI sound, but as I understand it the video drivers handle the included audio portion as well. Have you re-loaded the video drivers? Does your BIOS have an option to select the enabled audio hardware?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have it working now. Here is what I did to fix. Evidently the input knob on the DH830 was selected to analog. I guess it was causing the PC not to detect the audio and switched over to the internal sound card.....I think...
It required me to actually get off my butt and travel 10 ft. to play with the actual knobs instead of a remote and now it works...... .
I had a feeling it was a setting new to me on the AVR and in-fact it was.
I went ahead and updated the video drivers but appears the driver being used is actually a Microsoft driver called High Definition digital audio driver. There were two listed and both work.
I did a sound check from the PC and 5 of the 7 installed speakers tested normal when selecting 5.1 I guess that's normal. Anyway VEVO is once again is rocking our living room and now controlled by the Logitech UN-smart Control......
Thanks for your help.... I'm sure I'll need more....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts