AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the HT world and would like to purchase a used CRT projector. I have been doing some research on this forum and a few other places and I think I have come to a decision that I would like to start out by purchasing a Sony 1031q, but am still open to suggestions. I have seen a few on ebay, however I am quite leary of purchasing from ebay, as I have had a bad experience in the past. I have read that Curt Palme has sells quite a few projectors as well as Eric Lang. Could someone point me in the direction where I could find a list of projectors for sale from these members, or possibly other reputable members. I would also like to know the difference between the 1031q and 1040q projectors. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Curt can be reached at the other end of: [email protected] . I would recommend against buying a projector on ebay unless the seller is reputable. I don't know Eric's email. I would start with the search function.

-Garrick

·
Registered
711 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
why are eric's prices so high? On the question of ebay, you can get alot better deals on it, but you do the run the risk i guess if the tubes are any good. I dunno but comparing prices, it seems even if you have to buy replacement parts ebay is still a better place to go.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
People who deal in pojectors that go through them prior to shipping and supply support have higher prices that those who simply ship boxes and give no support and have all kinds of disclaimers. You get what you pay for. Roll the dice on EBay or get what you need from Eric or Curt.

Terry

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Here's a tip...

You will probably get a lower price on a projector from Eric if you bid on one his eBay auctions. His ID is quaturbo.

Also, bear in mind that you are buying used goods and the price is always negotiable. The extent to which you can successfully negotiate a better price will depend on the specific projector you want, the level of demand for it, and what the market will bear.

For instance, a NEC XG110LC with new tubes typically sells for between $4,000 and $4,500. Demand for these machines is fairly brisk and new tubes makes them especially attractive to would-be buyers. Don't expect to buy one for much less than that since the seller has no real motive to negotiate price with you. Someone else will be more than willing to meet their price and feel like they got a great deal.

Also, as Terry pointed out, people like him, Curt, and Eric provide after-the-sale support and time is money. It's one thing if you are a projector veteran and can handle the setup yourself, but even then your machine can show up with a problem caused by shipping and they will take care of you. If you are a complete newbie, you are probably going to be dependent on that support to get up and running.

--Jerome

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.