Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I have been lurking around here reading up on Plasmas and have learned quite a bit. Thanks for all the information!

I am asking for help in deciding which Plasma I should go for. I am looking for either a 42 or 43". I have narrowed it down to either a Pioneer or a Panny model.

Now to my questions:

I mostly watch Direct TV and DVDs. On a 16:9 widescreen plasma, how does "regular" TV look? Is it letterboxed or is there a stretch option available on the plasmas that look good? I plan on connecting my DTV through S-video and my DVD through component.

Should I get a display that is HDTV ready now or should I wait? I see you can get plasma displays that aren't HDTV compatible fairly cheaper than HDTV ready. How important is this?

What is the best display for the money and how do I get the great deals I see people getting from Dell? I can't seem to find the codes/promotions?

I appreciate any and all help and hope I can become an active part of the forums in the future.

Thanks,

~Flow

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
You can get most of the answers by looking at the FAQ.

Anyway,

a) regular TV looks bad to good depending on your video source quality. With a good analog cable, it is almost 3D looking on what I have here. You have different aspect ratio controls to view 4:3 content in 16:9. I use Pioneer's excellent "wide" setting.

b) if you do not mind spending more, get an HDTV ready plasma. You can hookup a HDTV tuner and watch some excellent shows such as CSI in high definition.

c) the best display for the money seems to be the Pioneer 503cmx.

MAB

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there.

Yesterday I auditioned a Fujitsu, Poineer, Sony and Panasonic. All of the screens were placed side by side. I purchased the panasonic PWD5, it looked fantastic. Contrast/Black level and motion artifacts (lack off)

I judged the Pioneer as second, very good but not quite as good as the Panasonic.(and more expensive)

The Fujitsu and Sony about even in third place.

Advice: Try and evaluate your choosen screens together (same source and check/alter the settings).

I am very happy with my purchase.

Regards

Dennis

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I would seriously consider the Panasonic 42". It is usually among the top sets in tests, and typically costs several hundred dollars less than competitive models.

SD pictures will usually look better on HD-Ready sets, as will DVD's. I didn't even realize there are plasmas available that are not HD-Ready.

There are several modes on a Panasonic that stretch a 4:3 image to fill the 16:9 screen. Some people like the "Justified" mode which stretches the sides of the image more than the center. I personally don't like ony of them and usually watch DTV in 4:3 "normal" mode, which leaves black bars at the sides. I got used to this after a few hours. If the 4:3 image is "letterboxed," the "zoom" mode expands it nicely to fill the screen without introducing the weird distortions of some of the other modes.

Dell pricing policy is very erratic. I would suggest you check their site frequently for sales, and then telephone your order to a sales rep and ask if there are any coupon deals available. I did this during a 10% off + free shipping sale, and the rep offered me an additional 10% off after a brief discussion. www.techbargains.com also keeps track of Dell coupons.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I agree. I still think the SD Panny is the best bet for non-HDTV viewing amongst the available panels. I have been sitting quietly on the sidelines for a few months now waiting for new panels (hoping they resolve the DVI issue once and for all). But if forced to pull the trigger on a 42/43 today, I would grab the SD Panny.

Good luck.

·
Registered
772 Posts
i used to be all for the SD panny 42", but i like to get close to the screen to get that 'immersive' experience, and when i tried that with the SD Panny (or other SD brands for that matteR), i saw the 'screen door' and it really bothered me. i've been spoiled by my direct-view 34" HD sampo, and since getting a plasma is supposed to be an upgrade for me, the screen door broke the deal.

HOWEVER, if you don't like sitting close to the unit, then I will agree that from the 'recommended' viewing distance (which is too far for my personal taste), the SD panny wins.

MMAfia

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.