AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just about fried my brain trying to read everything on here. If someone can help, I'd be eternally grateful.

I just bought the Vizio 47" LCD. I can now switch out my Time Warner DVR for an HD-DVR (for about $12-15 per month). I have NO DVD player right now but have a VCR. There's a lot of talk about Blue Ray and HD DVD, so I'm hesitant to drop a lot of cash when these new devices are coming out. I'm not a computer wizard, but I have read a lot of nextoo's info. And I've read and tried to understand the importance of an HD upgrade or HD converter? Do I need this in my DVD player to make it appear nicer?

Or for now should I just get a basic DVD player or should I go after a DVDR? I don't think I'm going to go to the extent of putting a larger external hard drive unless it would be better/cheaper than using a TWC HD-DVR.

(Deleted this part... thanks for the advice nextoo)

I know this is a lot of questions, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Thanks for the notation but defeating copy protection is not something that is a primary focus in this forum. Reporting some interesting anomalies with DVD recorders does happen and the Grex as been offered up on occasion for some recorders that report false positives.

Are you looking for a player or a recorder?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's just it... I'm not sure. I think I want a DVDR... but a regular DVD player I guess could do what I need until it comes time to go the BlueRay of HD-DVD. Do you think the time to buy one of those will come more readily apparent over the next few months (aka when the battle winner is decided)?

But if I am going to spend the money on a DVDR... which route does one go?

And about how much would you spend for a Polaroid?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I think it will be at least a few of years before prices for high definition disc recorders come down to what I consider affordable. I got tired of making SVHS tapes, when I know I will not be able to buy new equipment to play them when my present decks die. DVDRs make a nicer picture, and the new hi def systems will play existing DVDs. So, if making recordings is important to you, go ahead and buy a DVDR. I have read that some of the new hi def machines won't play CDs! So, if your DVR is still working when you buy a hi def disc recorder, you might want it to play CDs anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc /forum/post/0

I think it will be at least a few of years before prices for high definition disc recorders come down to what I consider affordable. I got tired of making SVHS tapes, when I know I will not be able to buy new equipment to play them when my present decks die. DVDRs make a nicer picture, and the new hi def systems will play existing DVDs. So, if making recordings is important to you, go ahead and buy a DVDR. I have read that some of the new hi def machines won't play CDs! So, if your DVR is still working when you buy a hi def disc recorder, you might want it to play CDs anyway.

Ok, so I should go with a DVDR... so any idea on which are some of the better ones? I'm guessing that I should go with one that gives me a really good picture on my 1080p tv... so one that is upconverted (or something like that?)?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I have a 56" DLP TV, and a Pio 640. I am very happy with the picture quality. IMO, upconversion is a gimmick. Your TV has to upconvert the signal to display it, so you don't need upconversion in the DVD player. The only way it could help is if it did a better job than your TV. Since your TV cost way more than any DVD player you are likely to buy, guess which is likely to do the best job of upconversion?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeVBall /forum/post/0

So do you think the Pioneer 640 is the way to go? Or perhaps trying to score a Polaroid?

I have not owned a Polaroid. From what I read here, the Pio 640 is superior in all respects, except it does not have component inputs. I'll admit I would love to have component inputs, so I could make anamorphic DVDs, since my Comcast Moto 6412 will not output a squished signal on S-Vid. I guess if I had the money, and rack space in my 6' tower of equipment, I would have both, and use the Polaroid to convert component to S-Vid for the Pio. But, I don't know if your cable DVR will output a squeezed picture on S-Vid, or what is most important to you. So, you'll just have to make your own decision, based on what info you can glean on this board, just like I did, when I bought my 640.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.