AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking for advice on what setup to go whith for an 14w x 20L x 8h room.

I would mainly be using this pj setup for widescreen dvd's and occasional x box use for my son.

I have a decent audio setup whith two custom made powered subs,Parasound c2,Legacy [Coda] 5x 250 amp + Carver pro digital zr 1000 amp,6 custom made monitors whith all scan speak drivers and hovaland/alpha core parts,Sony 9000es modified for sonics as well as a Phillips 963sa that I just started modding.

I also have dedicated 20 amp lines and high quality cabling ect.

I have the audio[which I believe is at least as important as video] down.

I currently have a Toshiba cinema series f90 35 in monitor for any sdtv veiwing but have no clue where to start whith projection.

The above tv was rated best at the time so I do require something decent. but not real expensive if possible.

Could I get some advice on what screen and pj for this somewhat small room?

Thanks Greg

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I was going to say that you need a short-throw lens, because of your small room, but really, 20 feet long isn't that small, so you might not need to be concerned about that. In fact a longer throw lens might be more to your liking.

First though, you need to list more criteria. When people ask for suggestions without providing any parameters, they don't get much feedback because there are so MANY options to choose from. You need to narrow it down. How much are you willing to spend? Try starting a thread titled "Which Projector for $________ " (Or you could do a search to see if there is a thread like that in your price range.)

You must establish how much you are able or willing to pay, and then narrow it down from there. DLP or LCD? Native 16:9 or 4:3? Etc etc.

For me I was working with a budget of around $1200, and my choices were limited to three: the Sanyo Z1, the X1, or the P200. I went with the Z1 for various reasons, but since I don't know what your budget is, there is no point in recommending the Z1 to you if you could afford a much better projector....

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ok, first, please be honest with the group. Are you sure you don't play the XBox too? Is it really just your son that plays the XBox????????????

ha ha.

I have the X1, and love it. Couple things...

1) First, if you go the projector route, MAKE sure that you buy from someone who will allow returns. Projectors are a different beast than your standard 32 inch tube television. Some people love them, some people dont. DOnt get stuck with a $1500+ paperweight, or something you just can't watch. if it is a difference of 100 bucks, pay a little extra to have the security to return it. the reason that MOST dealers will NOT ALLOW returns is that projectors have a really high return rate (i am guessing).

2) check out ************** for any postings on good deals. i just saw a post for the X1 at Dell for under 9, after discounts.

3) I have the x1 in a room that is about 11 feet wide, and 13 feet long. i can get a picture about 65-70 inches with a 10 foot distance to screen. i use a standar d-lite pull down screen (has an arm in the back that keeps the screen very taught (spelling)).

4) Spend an afternoon just reading through the past months of these posts. You will be amazed at how much information is within these postings!!!!! very helpul people use this forum, and everyone is very nice and helpful.

5) post your location and ask if someone will have you over for a viewing once you decide on your model. for a 6 pack, these folks will do just about anything. pack your XBox (i mean your sons) in the car and take that too, test it out. or do this at your local dealer.

good luck. do your homework and research, and it will pay off.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gray. I would like to spend as little as possible 1200.-3k for pull down screen and all and would use it for widscreen movies and occasional x box gaming only.

I measured my room and the screen would be about 18 ft from the back wall and 14-15 ft from the main seating as an e center takes up almost 3 ft on one end.

I also don't no what size or type of pull down screen to buy, so advice on that would be appreciated also.

hokey, I have played x box but prefer a movie after a long day more often than not.

Maybe that will change with a bigger than 35in screen.:D

Why do you think most that return there pj's do so?

If it has as good or better picture than the latest rptv's,then I will keep it.

I have read quite a few threads but when youv'e never dealt whith pj's,a lot of the terms used don't help a newbie.

Audio I know ,monitor tv's I know....everything else :confused:

Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.