AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to the world of home theater . i am buying a nec 6rb plus with screen and cables for $1700. are these things difficult to set up? i know they are heavy.is this a better way to go than say a lpg projector? i hope i am not making a big mistake. any first timers help is appriciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, a CRT projector (one with 3 tubes) like the one you are about to buy is the best technology around for showing movies imo. If you go for a LCD (I assume that is what you meant) you will get something that is MUCH easier to set up, but rather inferior picture quality.

If you are uncomfortable setting the clock on your VCR, you might be in trouble with a CRT projector. If, on the other hand you are used to fiddling around with electronic gadgets I am sure you will enjoy a CRT. It takes a while to learn how to set it up, but once you get used to it, it will become second nature. For me it is even half the fun constantly tweaking my projector.

The first time I did a complete set up of my ECP 4100, it took 7 hours. Now I can do it in 45 minutes flat :)

This is my first projector too so I can appreciate your problem. I have access to LCD and DLP projectors at work (I can bring them home for a shootout) but none of them gets anywhere near my CRT in terms of quality.

CRT = Lot of work, tweaking etc. GREAT picture quality. Filmlike.

LCD/DLP = minimal setup. Poor picture quality although DLP is way better than LCD.

Hope that helps a bit.

Hans Henrik

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you helped alot. i am not so hesitant now. i am actually excited about going from a 27 inch sony wega to a 110 inch monster. next the sound system!!!!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
being your first projector you might want to go with a pro setup

XANATOS

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xanatos
being your first projector you might want to go with a pro setup
I would agree unless you really want to do it yourself you should have an expert set it up the first time. But be warned with a CRT projector when you first turn it on it will look terrible until it is setup. The NEC is the most difficult to setup because there is no guided setup menus, however should show a fantastic picture when it is setup properly. Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions here there are plenty of very smart people to help you out.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.