AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the opportunity to buy a NEC XG-1100 projector on a silent auction from my girlfriends company. The unit is guaranteed to work, and the starting bid is $75. There are two available in the auction, and the auction works by sending in your bid via email. If it's the highest, you win.

The questions are, should I bid, and then how much is it worth to bid? I have really wanted an HDTV for building a home theater system, but haven't wanted to spring the $1.5k+ to get something decent. It seems like this would provide much better picture quality than any TV, and cost much much less.

I also don't know the first thing about CRT projectors, and hear they are difficult to maintain. What are the risks of buying a used CRT projector? What are the problems with CRT's and how difficult is the maintenance?

FYI, I am DIY audio veteran, having built many different tube amps and preamps. So complicated maintenance is something I could do.

Thanks for your help! (ps. this is my first post on AVS, so please reply :)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
kwhilden

That projector could be worth anywhere from $1,000.00 to $3,500.00. This depends alot on tube condition and if there are any other bugs. If you can get a look at it first and see if there is any wear on the tubes showing, that will help you out. Take a flashlight and look through the lenses and see if you can see any brown or yellow on the face of the CRT. If there is alot then you will have to retube at a cost of a couple thousand. See if you can talk to the person that ran the PJ.

There is really no maintenance involved, once it is set up, you are good to go. You can check the convergence once and a great while, a 15 minute operation.

Awesome PJ.

Deron

·
Registered
380 Posts
Buy both and you have spare parts.

The critical part however is the tubes.

Almost anything can be fixed within reason on a CRT projector, but tubes are expensive and at times very expensive.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Can you look at them?

You may find someone on the Forum that also wants one, you can charge them a couple hundred if you win it at their bid price and use that to supplement your bid price on the second. Depending on the size of the company you may really be able to steal these.

·
Registered
359 Posts
corporate auctions can yield VERY good prices (re:LOW) as long as no one else knows what it is... it happens.

I bought my first pj at a company auction ($70 ehome ECP 3500) ...there is one caveat - Worn tubes, most (if not all) corporate pj'd have seen a lot of use, I'd be willing to bet that you could get yourself a nice pj for $300 - then you'd most likely need to spend 3x that to redo the tubes.

whatever the case - good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.