AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My home theater is ready for the next step. Have a great sound system now I need to update the video. My room is 13x19 with a single window. I watch 90% DVD's but want HDTV as an option. Wide screen is a must. Have seen HDTV's at Costco for $2500. What would a projector give me? My questions are below.

LCD or CRT projector?

Best size screen for room?

Best type of screen?

How bright do I really need?

Line doubler a must?

What about units with built in doublers?

Best unit for $2500 (or is this to low)?

Used gear (Ebay)

Any advise on things to watch for before I buy or build?

Room advice (color, lighting, etc)

web site?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

·
Registered
568 Posts
I doubt you'll find many projectors < $2500.

You'll also find, in general, that no projectors are close to as bright as TVs - although they can usually be plenty bright enough. It's a matter of taste. You might also consider that some tastes are more triggered by black level than by brightness. I watch a lot more TV than I do DVDs, so brightness counts more for me than it might for others--it's often during the daylight hours.

Something to watch for (that I screwed up on): if you are going to go with an LCD projector, be SURE that you don't care about any potential interaction with a perforated screen. I've got such a combination and it's a mistake.

Doubler: at your price range, you're probably not looking at doubling much unless you're using a RPTV and not a projector. I held off on a doubler and I'm glad I did: my projector (Sharp DW100U) does just fine on most material without a doubler.

Screen size: make sure your viewing distance is appropriate. If you're going the short way (ie 19' wide, 13' deep) you won't be very far from the screen. (Probably 10' or possibly less.) Take this into account. Bigger is generally better but if it's really big and you're really close you'll see the image structure - bad thing.

------------------

Brian

·
Registered
318 Posts
You do not need any doubler or external scaler when you use a PC as your DVD player. Search the HTPC forum for details. I must say I learned that the PC is the cheapest way for being the best DVD source regardless price until now.

I have opted for WinDVD 3.0.

success

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been looking at doing a HTPC. Any advice on good sound cards? Sound is a major factor and I need DTS. Any DVD players better then the rest?

I'm a computer guy is this sound like a great way to go but I worry about sound quality. I have an older InFocus (640x480 only) but I plan to start doing some testing with it and my home PC. (Gforce, SB 5.1 gamer, 256mb, 700mhz Tbird). Thanks for your reply.

Bob...

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
You might look athe LT150s that Alan is selling...a little over your budget, but it is the best proj. in your price range if you are not sensitive to rainbows...

·
Registered
318 Posts
The WinDVD has a DTS optional (when registering). I took the DTS option and on some movies the DTS is definately more discrete and more discernable than the Dolby Digital version of the sound.(DVD:U-571)I also have a registered vs of PowerDVD 3.0 but no digital to my A/V receiver yet possible in windows 2000, and just as important slightly less sharp images than WinDVD

I have not tested WinDVD with the Soundblaster Live, which I have next to the M-audio Audiophile 24 bit/96 khz audio-card used for the DVD sound.

You have to search for: Live AC3

and the OS you use in the Home Theater PC section of the forum I use Windows 2000, much more stable than winME

AC3 (stream) stands for the digital audio stream like Dolby Digital and DTS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.