AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know nothing about home theaters, but have decided to build out a portion of our unfinished upstairs into a Home Theater! I'm very excited about the project, but also got quickly overwhelmed. Any feedback on my plans below would be much appreciated!!

Room Layout: The entire upstairs is ~27'x27'. I plan to put a wall off the southern end to create a 23'x12' space (See attached images). I have some flexibility to change this if needed, but hope this layout will work. I also am thinking about puting a small media closet for all electronics in the back of the room. Is this an ok location, or should I put in more central or in the front?

Projector ($1500 Budget): After a bit of research, I think I'm settled on a projector over a TV. Looking at the Optoma UHD50X. We mainly watch movies, live sports, and some gaming (mainly just nintendo switch games)

Screen: Right now I think I will just project onto the wall. Suggestions on paint, finish, etc?

Receiver ($500 Budget): I would like to stay with a Yamaha, as I have one downstairs that I like a lot, and can use the same app for both. I have no researched models yet. What are the biggest things to look for?

Speakers ($1000 Budget):
Front: Already own Polk Tsi300 standing floor speakers. Thoughts on these and if they fit the system?
Center: Already own Klipsch WC-24. Thoughts on this and if it fits the system?
Side: Thinking about getting JBL SP8II but open to suggestions.
Rear: Thinking about getting JBL SP8II but open to suggestions. Is it ok to have the same rear and side speakers?
Sub: No idea.
Atmos: Thinking about doing 4 8" Micca M-8C. Open to suggestions.

Misc: Are there any other components I'm missing? Anything else that would provide a lot of value?? Thanks!!

-Chad

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
The first thing I'd note is to think about how the room will be used 95% of the time. Will you actually use all those seats? If so, great. Otherwise, it's a lot of extra expense for seating and subs that will actually fill the space. If it's really a four-person theater, I'd probably put a wall behind the recliners, leaving the projector in that separate space.

Speaking of expense, $1000 for speakers won't go very far for room-filling immersive sound (unless you go for a smaller room). I know you already have the LCR, but subs alone can easily eat that up. Unless you just want to get something up and running and plan to upgrade later, I'd see about expanding that budget.

I'm sure you're aware, but that right front seat is going to get absolutely screwed for sound. Side speaker right in their ear, and won't hear anything from the rears or back Atmos.

Just some quick thoughts.

·
RETIRED theater builder
33,849 Posts
from an audio perspective shoving the seating tight to the right wall is not a good idea. Also be mindful of the bass nulls at 1/2 and 3/4 room length when positioning seating.
IMHO You are starting with some great space but your plan is not what you would see in a top performing theater. What is going on in the unfinished area and can some of that be grabbed for the theater? I'd actually think about moving the theater to the top of your diagram.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think I would get a center to match your front Polks for starters speaker-wise. You want the front 3 to sound the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback!

I do need seating in the room for at least 6 as that's the size of our family (4 kids). So I don't love the idea of making it smaller for the purposes of getting better sound.

The rest of the unfinished space will be a family room. The windows are the main reason for the current placement. If I moved it to the top of the drawing, there are 3-3'x5' windows and I would much prefer those provide natural light to the family room. I'm not 100% closed to the idea though, and I hear the feedback that I may have things a bit crowded with the seating layout.

What about the slightly revised layout? I got rid of the chair next to the wall, and moved the Side speakers back so they aren't pointed right at someone.

Also - is the comment about replacing the Klipsch Center to a Polk just to match brands, or are the type of speakers not the same?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the only other layout I could see working based on wanting natural light in the Family room. Is it crazy to have a slanted wall like this? I could also possibly push out the wall in the first version a few feet if the space needs to be wider.

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thanks for the feedback!

I do need seating in the room for at least 6 as that's the size of our family (4 kids). So I don't love the idea of making it smaller for the purposes of getting better sound.

The rest of the unfinished space will be a family room. The windows are the main reason for the current placement. If I moved it to the top of the drawing, there are 3-3'x5' windows and I would much prefer those provide natural light to the family room. I'm not 100% closed to the idea though, and I hear the feedback that I may have things a bit crowded with the seating layout.

What about the slightly revised layout? I got rid of the chair next to the wall, and moved the Side speakers back so they aren't pointed right at someone.

Also - is the comment about replacing the Klipsch Center to a Polk just to match brands, or are the type of speakers not the same?
Getting the Center to match the Left and Right is more than just brand matching - it's timbre matching. You want them to all have the same sound characteristics so when sounds pan across the front " stage" , they sound the same all the way across. You don't want a different sounding speaker than the other 2. It wouldn't sound right.

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Everyone`s different and I love my current dedicated room,but, my house I am building soon will be moving the theater in to the family room/living room......I have not used my current living room for 2 years now.....

To be honest in my opinion,........a theater in the family room would be better than one in a compromised space.....natural light is fine for casual viewing, then when its movie time close the shades down tight......

Then you can get a casual open space for a combo room, but still make it very good for movies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The idea of just doing 1 big open family room with the theater has made me think quite a bit. I think I may change gears and go that direction. I'm guessing the main things I will be giving up is the quality of the sound being in a bigger room? And perhaps some lighting?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really appreciate all the feedback. This has entirely changed my layout ideas.

So how does this layout look using more of the entire room instead of having a small blocked in area? Will the side speakers work with this placement? Any other feedback?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Everyone`s different and I love my current dedicated room,but, my house I am building soon will be moving the theater in to the family room/living room......I have not used my current living room for 2 years now.....

To be honest in my opinion,........a theater in the family room would be better than one in a compromised space.....natural light is fine for casual viewing, then when its movie time close the shades down tight......

Then you can get a casual open space for a combo room, but still make it very good for movies.

I would agree with the picture and usefulness comments but getting high quality surround sound in any of the spaces shown will be difficult to impossible and for me sound is more import than a perfect picture. As always comes down to what you have to work with and what your goals are.

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
I really appreciate all the feedback. This has entirely changed my layout ideas.

So how does this layout look using more of the entire room instead of having a small blocked in area? Will the side speakers work with this placement? Any other feedback?

Sorry, my knowledge has run out.......now you are in the same boat as me ;) Look at my signature for the link to Theaterhouse.....I am asking the same questions you are.

I am great with ideas concepts........but executing that concept is another story....I joined the community here for answers to the same questions you are asking and stayed around for the company of those much much smarter than me.

I just wanted to explain so you did not think I was abandoning you....lol

I have limited knowledge and we have hit the limits.......:D

·
RETIRED theater builder
33,849 Posts
I built a wide open theater space as my first theater when I started down the pathway from novice to connoisseur. It was the biggest mistake I made, you can never achieve the same level of audio performance as a dedicated room. Before you finalize your decision consider how you will use this space, in 5-10-15 years. As your kids get older who will be using the space? When you are an empty nester how will you use the space?

·
Registered
224 Posts

I'd go with this v4 of your plan. I don't think you said how old your kids are, but you need to consider your family and how they should use it.

We have a 5 and 9 year old and we don't want them in a windowless room. We've got a couple of windows in our theater that we just close the blinds when we want to watch a movie and our theater seats are right up against one of our walls. We don't have perfect audio and video, but it is better than 99% of what people have at home.

You're obviously looking to do this on a budget so I think you have a great plan here. I used Micca speakers for Atmos in my old theater and they got the job done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd go with this v4 of your plan. I don't think you said how old your kids are, but you need to consider your family and how they should use it.

We have a 5 and 9 year old and we don't want them in a windowless room. We've got a couple of windows in our theater that we just close the blinds when we want to watch a movie and our theater seats are right up against one of our walls. We don't have perfect audio and video, but it is better than 99% of what people have at home.

You're obviously looking to do this on a budget so I think you have a great plan here. I used Micca speakers for Atmos in my old theater and they got the job done.
Our kids are 4, 6, 10, and 11. I've come to the conclusion that the open room layout is the best for us right now. We've still got ~14 years of kids in the house so it just makes more sense for us. And we plan to move to a smaller space once all the kids are out....so I will have to do the dedicated space Theater in the future. Hopefully I'll have more experience and $$$ by then too!

So now the decision is do I want to center the screen on the wall, or push it up to the side.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Our kids are 4, 6, 10, and 11. I've come to the conclusion that the open room layout is the best for us right now. We've still got ~14 years of kids in the house so it just makes more sense for us. And we plan to move to a smaller space once all the kids are out....so I will have to do the dedicated space Theater in the future. Hopefully I'll have more experience and $$$ by then too!

So now the decision is do I want to center the screen on the wall, or push it up to the side.
I think that is a good plan. I'd leave it centered in the theater space like you have it now.

For a projector, the Epson 5040UB refurb is under $1500. That is what I just got a couple of months ago.

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
It seems to me, I might be wrong, if you extend that kids area wall all the way to the screen wall and maybe use 1 or 2 =6 foot wide openings/doors to make the theater area as uniform as possible would be the best bet to get the best sound possible in your application........oddly shaped rooms give odd sound.

A couple 6 foot openings would allow bifold or barn doors or French doors to be used to block that area off when not in use or for movie time and then get 12 foot of opening when its not serious movie time......or one huge 12 foot sliding door.........

Being able to make the room with sound some sort of rectangle would be better than not........in my opinion.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It seems to me, I might be wrong, if you extend that kids area wall all the way to the screen wall and maybe use 1 or 2 =6 foot wide openings/doors to make the theater area as uniform as possible would be the best bet to get the best sound possible in your application........oddly shaped rooms give odd sound.

A couple 6 foot openings would allow bifold or barn doors or French doors to be used to block that area off when not in use or for movie time and then get 12 foot of opening when its not serious movie time......or one huge 12 foot sliding door.........

Being able to make the room with sound some sort of rectangle would be better than not........in my opinion.
I like this idea. If this can work, go with this. Do pocket doors.

·
Registered
758 Posts
With your speakers, you're describing at 11 channels (Front LCR, 2x surround, 2x rear surround, 4x Atmos). For a Yamaha reciever, going past 7 channels get's pretty expensive.
If you go to 9 or 11 channels, you're looking at RX-A2080 and/or RX-A3080 (or the hard-to-find RX-V2085, equivalent to the RX-A2080).
You can stay under budget if you go with 7 speakers (LCR, 2 surround, 2 rear surround or 2 Atmos).
You could look at the TSR-7850, which is a costco model, or the RX-V685, currently on sale, which are pretty much functionally equivalent to the RX-A780. RX-A 'Aventage' models get an extra year of warranty.

If you want 9-11 channels/speakers, but Yamaha's prices are too steep, you may want to consider the new Denon models AVR-X3700H, AVR-X4700H, AVR-X6700H. They're over budget, but can do all that you're describing, and are "future-proofed" for 8K video. They cost less than the Yamahas.
The X3700H and X4500H would need an additional amplifier to play 11 channels, but you should be able to find a suitable model for less than the cost difference to the X4700H.

I know nothing about home theaters, but have decided to build out a portion of our unfinished upstairs into a Home Theater! I'm very excited about the project, but also got quickly overwhelmed. Any feedback on my plans below would be much appreciated!!
Receiver ($500 Budget): I would like to stay with a Yamaha, as I have one downstairs that I like a lot, and can use the same app for both. I have no researched models yet. What are the biggest things to look for?
Speakers ($1000 Budget):
Front: Already own Polk Tsi300 standing floor speakers. Thoughts on these and if they fit the system?
Center: Already own Klipsch WC-24. Thoughts on this and if it fits the system?
Side: Thinking about getting JBL SP8II but open to suggestions.
Rear: Thinking about getting JBL SP8II but open to suggestions. Is it ok to have the same rear and side speakers?
Sub: No idea.
Atmos: Thinking about doing 4 8" Micca M-8C. Open to suggestions.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts