Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I'm completely new to the world of high-end remotes but would like to get one for my new home theater setup which basically includes a TV, DVD, CD, Receiver, Sat, and VCR. I'd like something that can learn from existing remotes and can do macros (preferably with customizable labels). I also need something that I can input the discrete codes for the new Samsung DLPs (I'm completely lost as to how these are generally provided to the remote as I've seen them in various forums as a stream of HEX). And, of course, I'd like to minimize cost. I'd appreciate any advice about some remotes that can meet these requirements.

And, how do these remotes can programmed with these discrete codes since the the original remote can't produce the signal from which to learn???

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CSB
preferably with customizable labels
Labels would mean you want an LCD screen, which is fairly common on home theater remotes today.

Quote:
I also need something that I can input the discrete codes
This means that you'll want something PC Programmable.

Quote:
And, of course, I'd like to minimize cost. I'd appreciate any advice about some remotes that can meet these requirements.
Here's a quick list of the remotes I'd recommend for you, in order of price:

$135 - MX-500PKG. This is the popular MX-500 remote with an included URC-8811 and JP1-Cable, so that you can download discrete codes and teach them to the MX-500. It's not very difficult, but certainly not as convenient as the rest of the remotes below, which are directly PC Programmable!

$240 - TSU-3000. This is a full touchscreen with only a few real buttons. Very customizeable, very versatile, but touchscreen isn't as convenient to use as are real buttons (you have to look down to see what you're pressing as each page is different). The learning curve isn't very steep, but it will take a little while to figure it all out.

$350 - MX-700. This is my pick for your needs. It can handle up to 20 devices, has the customizeable LCD screen, and is PC Programmable. The software (IMHO) is easier than Philips' products, and it's very comfortable to use.

You won't go wrong with any of those, drop me a line if you have any specific questions ([email protected])

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
You're really looking at either a Philips Pronto TSU3000 (or one of the other Pronto remotes) or a Home Theater Master MX-700. The difference is whether you prefer an all-button remote or a touchscreen. I suggest you read the reviews of both remotes on www.remotecentral.com, as well as some of the threads here about both remotes.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I agree with the remotes mentioned above, but will also add the Harmony.

If it is 100% price related
Quote:
And, of course, I'd like to minimize cost
then I think the cheapest would be a refurbished Pronto TS-1000 or 2000

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am in the same boat as CSB but I am unsure if my equipment has discrete codes or not. But the kicker here is I need a remote that is "VERY" user friendly so that my wife can watch her soap on the TiVo every night. I don't want a touchscreen had one and I hated it. I need to control a new 50" panny LCD, Receiver,DVD,TiVo,HD Stb. I see the MX-700 on ebay for about $170 but was hoping to stay about $100 or less. I'm not to concerned about macro's(could be nice) but mainly I want to replicate all the buttons on the standard remotes. Hope im not to vague on this. Thanks all for any advice.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Funkenstein
. . . but mainly I want to replicate all the buttons on the standard remotes.
The MX-500 will fill that bill for you and keep you at the $100 price level as well.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Don't forget you can often get used or refurbed pronto TS-1000 for less than $100. This will do everything you could ever want if you are ok with a touchscreen vs. hard buttons. And if you can live without customized labels you can get a Radio Shack 2116 or similar OFA remote for $20-$30 that will work great. Good luck.

Jay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.