• Panasonic TCP54PV10 ($2,700)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'm totally new to this - but I know I want a nice Plasma for sure.

I've narrowed it down to:

Pioneer PRO-151FD Elite ($4200 floor model)

LG 60PS11 ($1799)

Samsung 63in PN63B590 ($3,200)

Above all, I really want a great picture for movies, regular tv, video games, and PC (to play stored movies/Hulu).

Then I want 60+ size.

I have windows alongside the wall from the TV to the couch. So some light will come in during the day.

I was just about to buy the LG because of the price. But the Pioneer seems to be everyone's favorite, and I usually don't like second best. But for the price difference - dunno. Then again 63 inches is pretty cool - ARGGHH LOL.

Decisions, decisions.

Is there little difference between these models, that I should just go with the LG? Or is the Pioneer just that good?

I also see on CNET, that Panasonic TC-P54V10 is the hottest thing they reviewed this year. If they have a 60+ version, is it really better than the older Pioneer?

Thanks, your input is SOOO appreciated,

Denvas

·
Registered
362 Posts
The LG is a poor third place, many, many better choices.

If you have the $$ got the pioneer, if not go Panny or Sammy, many models in both line that are far better than LG. LG is improving, but they are not in the same class as the rest -- yet...

·
Registered
472 Posts
I actually like LG, and the PS11, especially considering those significant price differences. However, the PS11 has no anti reflective coating and could be problematic for you with the windows that you described. It's something that you should look into if you are leaning toward a 60PS11. It's black level will also likely be slightly less black than the Samsung and Panasonic, but decent. If you can live with those two aspects, PS11's are a good bang for the buck option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! I'm getting a clearer picture now.

syzygylock - The Pioneer is a floor model.

And DocuMaker, I totally did not know about the 600M. I'm going to look into it, thanks!!!

Thanks zack8322 - solid advice.

And Idiotcanuck, the potential glare is the only reason I didn't buy the LG PS11 right away. I was just in Frys, and I was looking at all the TV's, not prejudiced by brand or anything - just picture. And the LG looked really good. But I could practically see the whole store behind me while watching Pirates of the Caribbean LOL

Please, if anyone is into a model not listed here - let me know. Like I said, I'm such a Newbie, and I don't know what's new, best, or biggest for good prices. CNET's been my resource, but their reviews are limited.

That's why all of you rock! Sound advice from real users.

While browsing, I found this one: Panasonic TCP65V10. Looks nice, though it's not out yet. Any thoughts?

So, much appreciated!

- Denvas

·
Registered
472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvas /forum/post/16989855

Thanks everyone! I'm getting a clearer picture now.

syzygylock - The Pioneer is a floor model.

And DocuMaker, I totally did not know about the 600M. I'm going to look into it, thanks!!!

Thanks zack8322 - solid advice.

And Idiotcanuck, the potential glare is the only reason I didn't buy the LG PS11 right away. I was just in Frys, and I was looking at all the TV's, not prejudiced by brand or anything - just picture. And the LG looked really good. But I could practically see the whole store behind me while watching Pirates of the Caribbean LOL

Please, if anyone is into a model not listed here - let me know. Like I said, I'm such a Newbie, and I don't know what's new, best, or biggest for good prices. CNET's been my resource, but their reviews are limited.

That's why all of you rock! Sound advice from real users.

While browsing, I found this one: Panasonic TCP65V10. Looks nice, though it's not out yet. Any thoughts?

So, much appreciated!

- Denvas

You could add in the LG 60PS60 or PS80 as your bargain alternative. I believe they both do have an ARC on the screen, as well as having a few more features than the PS11. About the Pioneer 600M. Would a monitor work for your situation? If so, that may be a good alternative, if the ancilliary costs don't drive your cost too high.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi everyone,

I really appreciate everyone's help!

After lots of research, and weighing price with quality/features, I finally decided on the Panasonic TC-P65V10 or as some of you say "Panny" (love that!)

I love the features.

Kinda cool to be able to watch YouTube on my tv with no PC.

Also, buying Digital Copy on Amazon allows you to view movie on tv before it gets to you.

(Because of the Amazon Video on Demand connection on the TV).

I know - you guys are the experts and you might disagree, but honestly I'm loving it!

It's no Pioneer, but for $1,600 less and 5 inches more, I like the TC-P65V10 more than the Pioneer 151 (in terms of price to specs ratio).

Just my opinion

Thanks everyone!

Now it's time for a receiver and speakers LOL.

·
Registered
828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiotcanuck /forum/post/16994166

You could add in the LG 60PS60 or PS80 as your bargain alternative. I believe they both do have an ARC on the screen, as well as having a few more features than the PS11. About the Pioneer 600M. Would a monitor work for your situation? If so, that may be a good alternative, if the ancilliary costs don't drive your cost too high.

How could related costs bring the price of the 600M anywhere near the overpriced floor model he was looking at? Speakers? If he wants a HT surround sound setup, it's probably already there, and if tv speakers is all he needs, a decent sounding pair can be had for very cheap. Tuner? I assume if you're considering the purchase of one of these expensive sets, you have HD service. If you've gotta box it's nothing to worry about. Stand? Pricier options exist but getting one to fit the 600M shouldn't be a costly proposition.

In fact, he can probably have the 600M for the same price as the Samsung, which in my opinion, makes it a no brainer

Actually, anyone looking for the best picture at either 50" or 60" that doesn't buy an M just wasted their money, no exceptions really

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.