AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and couldn't find any help, but surely this isn't the first time this has been addressed.

First of all, I am fairly experienced with computers and built a HTPC 6-8 years ago and wasn't happy with the image quality at the time. Now that technology has raced forward and quality equipment is much more affordable, I have built a new one.

What is probably relevant is that the video card is a EVGA e-GeForce 8500 GT 1GB GDDR2 PCI-E SLI Ready. I am using a dvi-hmdi cable to a Vizio 50" plasma. Resolution looks great and Blu-ray movies are eye popping.

The problem is that when running windows (Vista) the top, bottom, and sides of the screen are just out of view. I can just see a corner of the Start button and the task bar is below view. I tried different settings on both the tv and computer, but nothing seems to solve it.

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Most TVs overscan on the hdmi input as they are expecting a CE device. You may be able to turn it off on the tv-

If not, then you should have slider bar to adjust the overscan in your NVIDIA control panel.

PS-I know you searched, but this comes up almost daily...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't use an Nvidia-based card but it probably has the same feature as I use on my ATI card. Basically, I set create a custom screen resolution which is sized to the visible portion of my TV screen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try both of these. Thanks!

I figured it was kind of a common issue but in looking at scaling and calibration threads, it seemed that like a whole lot of more advanced issues were being addressed. At this point, I am just trying to get the screen to fit!

Sorry I didn't see it in my search but thanks for being nice about it!

Thanks again

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the event this may help someone else that has an Nvidia card, here is how I solved this.

I went to the Nvidia website (using the computer with the graphics issue) and went to their download driver section. I used their scan utility and downloaded a new driver.

The new driver from Nvidia has everything I need including a "resize your screen when you desktop is displayed" utility. Very cool and very easy. Even though it was a brand new card, new drivers from Nvidia did the trick for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts